Rear disc calliper rubbing spokes

trevorh
trevorh Posts: 87
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Notice a tinging sound on the way to work this morning. Came on all of a sudden. Pulled over and checked the rear wheel and it appears that the rear disc calliper has started to rub against the spokes. The rear calliper doesn't appear to have moved but I suppose it is possible. I undid the mount bolts and "slid" the calliper outboard as far as it goes and it has solved the issue for now, although the inboard pad is rubbing the rotor. Could the wheel need redishing? anyone else had a similar issue and if so how did you solve it. I have a specialized diverge with Tekro Spyre mech disc brakes.

Comments

• What makes you think it is rubbing the spokes? Is there evidence on the spokes or caliper?

Spyre runs close to the spokes, but it shouldn't rub. Dish shouldn't make any significant difference
    left the forum March 2023
  • When the rear wheel was spinning you could hear the calliper tinging against the spokes with each revolution.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Could you see it? The noise can come from other sources as well......
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    More likely the end of the cable.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • I couldn't see it but it didn't seem to be coming from anywhere else. I span the wheel without the calliper attached and it was silent so wasn't related to the hub etc. I didn't think about the cable!!!!!!! - will check that but the sound has stopped now the calliper is maximum outboard. So it must be the calliper
  • When you moved the caliper, you also moved the cable end, in fairness...
  • That is true!! In my relative panic to get to work I suppose I didn't have time to be rational. I will be checking it at lunchtime so will update then. Thanks for the suggestions so far!!!
  • I always permanently bend the cable away from the bike, as once it got caught inside the caliper
  • andy9964
    andy9964 Posts: 930
    A slightly out of true rotor will also make a tinkling sound, especially if there's a bit of dirt trapped in the caliper
  • Ok. So even though the caliper is very close to the spokes its not that causing the noise. In fact I am down to the metal on one of the pads at the back and the disc is just rubbing enough to make a pinging sound!!. The bike was due a service over xmas anyway so I will replace the pads at the same time. Easy to make a mountain out of a molehill eh!!
  • Yup - with fault-finding, it's far too easy to jump to a conclusion. Glad you found it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH