Forum home Road cycling forum The bottom bracket

thursday, vi et armis

sungodsungod Posts: 13,227
edited December 2016 in The bottom bracket
'ning

somewhat hungover after yesterday, excellent tartare from the morton's tartare trolley, mmm

need coffee, office today, but hope to leave early
my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
«1

Posts

  • Stevo_666Stevo_666 Posts: 44,083
    On the train headed into town through the fog. Ski holiday to sort out in amongst the work, then getting taken out for some freebies by the bank.

    Nearly there...
    Whippet
    Bruiser
    Panzer
    Commuter

    "I spent most of my money on birds, booze and fast cars: the rest of it I just squandered." [George Best]
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,930
    bit below par after a locals party in the pub last night - where the kids were happy until gone eleven which was unprecedented

    Today is a day off to learn the arts of being a lumber jack as the neighbour has got a tree surgeon in his woods for the day. later will probably be lying on the sofa in all sorts of pain.
  • seanoconnseanoconn Posts: 6,811
    Why am I one of the few people who seems to be heading to work! I think I'll be staging a one man strike for the next day and a half, spending my time using Ninja like stealth to raid everyone's Christmas biscuit and chocolate stockpiles.
    Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    tlw1 wrote:
    bit below par after a locals party in the pub last night - where the kids were happy until gone eleven which was unprecedented

    Today is a day off to learn the arts of being a lumber jack as the neighbour has got a tree surgeon in his woods for the day. later will probably be lying on the sofa in all sorts of pain.

    Bring him lots of tea and listen to him talk rubbish for hours, enjoy.

    Last day at work today, I think I'm cancelling going out on the mtb with a friend from down south tomorrow because the bad weather is going to hit here at 7am. Quite disappointing.
  • LukeTCLukeTC Posts: 211
    Severely hungover after a late night knees up with the family, was meant to be a quiet meal with some of the extended fam to do the obligatory present swap over, but it seems everyone got the memo this year and cousins I hadn't seen for over 10 years showed up, nice surprise. Somehow found ourselves down Bristol Harbourside drinking and stumbling round until the early hours...feeling it this morning both in head and wallet.

    Penultimate day at work, so today will consist of admin and getting things all set up ready for the shut down along with ensuring all the wages are lined up for over the holidays (weekly pay is bliss).
  • tlw1tlw1 Posts: 18,930
    haydenm wrote:
    tlw1 wrote:
    bit below par after a locals party in the pub last night - where the kids were happy until gone eleven which was unprecedented

    Today is a day off to learn the arts of being a lumber jack as the neighbour has got a tree surgeon in his woods for the day. later will probably be lying on the sofa in all sorts of pain.

    Bring him lots of tea and listen to him talk rubbish for hours, enjoy.

    Full on day with me felling some trees is planned :)
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Meant to be studying but bored already.

    Bambini out with the old nanny for lunch so was planning some fixie riding but lists of jobs and shopping appeared from a TDV so that's kyboshed that idea.

    Probably get a quick weights session in, walk The Hound, finish Chrimbles shopping, so overall a meh day.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    tlw1 wrote:
    haydenm wrote:
    tlw1 wrote:
    bit below par after a locals party in the pub last night - where the kids were happy until gone eleven which was unprecedented

    Today is a day off to learn the arts of being a lumber jack as the neighbour has got a tree surgeon in his woods for the day. later will probably be lying on the sofa in all sorts of pain.

    Bring him lots of tea and listen to him talk rubbish for hours, enjoy.

    Full on day with me felling some trees is planned :)

    Ah sounds good! I was just talking from my past experience as a tree surgeon, they used to send me to chat to the clients because they always used to give us tea after a dose of my charm... I don't get to do much/any tree felling now :(
  • Not hung over (thankfully), in work (unfortunately), "site visits" planned for the morning (i.e. doing a few pre Christmas errands for wifey).

    A days lumber jacking sounds fun - reminds me that a friend still has my chainsaw and is not fulfilling his end of the bargain by dropping of the requisite logs etc.

    Bah humbug.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    Speaking of wood, I'm buying a house at the moment with moving date early February. The house has 3 log burners and no central heating, the current owners have a huge fire wood store, what is the betting they take all their wood with them when they move and I freeze to death within a day? I don't think we will find out til moving day what they have left...
  • slowmartslowmart Posts: 4,041
    Sore back from yesterday's paintballing means no bike ride and replaced with bike fettling, coffee while I peruse recipes for tonight's meal and then food shopping. A hard day of choices which will be helped with a decent bottle of wine.
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

    Desmond Tutu
  • slowmartslowmart Posts: 4,041
    haydenm wrote:
    Speaking of wood, I'm buying a house at the moment with moving date early February. The house has 3 log burners and no central heating, the current owners have a huge fire wood store, what is the betting they take all their wood with them when they move and I freeze to death within a day? I don't think we will find out til moving day what they have left...


    Don't wait, ask or at least have an arrangementment in place with the owners ? I used to love sitting in the dark with the wood stove going and a glass of whiskey.

    Theres no better therapy than using an axe to split logs or make kindling as there is something base in our nature to provide warmth and light for our homes. And it's really strange as I found it immensely pleasing to see a full log store. :oops:
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

    Desmond Tutu
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    slowmart wrote:
    haydenm wrote:
    Speaking of wood, I'm buying a house at the moment with moving date early February. The house has 3 log burners and no central heating, the current owners have a huge fire wood store, what is the betting they take all their wood with them when they move and I freeze to death within a day? I don't think we will find out til moving day what they have left...


    Don't wait, ask or at least have an arrangementment in place with the owners ? I used to love sitting in the dark with the wood stove going and a glass of whiskey.

    Theres no better therapy than using an axe to split logs or make kindling as there is something base in our nature to provide warmth and light for our homes. And it's really strange as I found it immensely pleasing to see a full log store. :oops:

    Calling the solicitor today as they have had a request to bring the moving date forward, fine for us (subject to mortgage approval) but I might agree on the condition they leave all the wood. Completely agree on the stove front, we are currently renting an ex council house so there is no chance there. Gives me a great excuse to spend too much money on this rather sexy axe:

    442-stor-klyvyxa.jpg
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,488 Lives Here
    I am both hungover and at work so have the double whammy. I'm not playing with my chopper either. Reminded me of a song called Butcher Pete about a different kind of chopper. Googling that I discovered the Cramps did a cover of it. You learn something new every day.
    As it's my last full day I'm going to the cafe to eat fried piggy for lunch.
    Onwards and upwards...
  • I'm also in work, slightly late as the cat pulled his splint off again, we also found another cat locked in trying to steal food. Suffice to say we had words and I doubt it'll be back for the forseable future.

    Festive food shop last nght, supermarket #1 (the cheap one) £104. Supermarket #2 (the slightly more expensive one), £206.
    We're not even doing christmas dinner and I've already made chillie for Mad Friday!
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • haydenm wrote:
    slowmart wrote:
    haydenm wrote:
    Speaking of wood, I'm buying a house at the moment with moving date early February. The house has 3 log burners and no central heating, the current owners have a huge fire wood store, what is the betting they take all their wood with them when they move and I freeze to death within a day? I don't think we will find out til moving day what they have left...


    Don't wait, ask or at least have an arrangementment in place with the owners ? I used to love sitting in the dark with the wood stove going and a glass of whiskey.

    Theres no better therapy than using an axe to split logs or make kindling as there is something base in our nature to provide warmth and light for our homes. And it's really strange as I found it immensely pleasing to see a full log store. :oops:

    Calling the solicitor today as they have had a request to bring the moving date forward, fine for us (subject to mortgage approval) but I might agree on the condition they leave all the wood. Completely agree on the stove front, we are currently renting an ex council house so there is no chance there. Gives me a great excuse to spend too much money on this rather sexy axe:

    442-stor-klyvyxa.jpg

    You'd have to be either incredibly organised or incredibly tight to take your wood store with you when you moved.

    That is a lovely axe and I've spent many an autumnal afternoon readying the winter log pile with one, but the purchase of an electric log splitter last year is a rather more practical choice and one which I wished I bought a hell of a lot sooner. You can always use the axe for kindling.
  • Log splitter for me, my elbows are knackered from humping rocks in to gardens for a few years.

    Even kindling with a hatchet leaves me reaching for pills afterwards.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    They do a load of other smaller axes too so that might be a good plan. My old boss had a log splitter which was pretty handy, I was using a splitting maul as well which was bloody heavy and not that much fun after a few minutes...

    I was half hoping I would use the log splitting to get strong again for next years mtb racing though
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,027
    good shaft, shame about the head, not really big enough is it.


    Anyway, gym done, wrapped some presents, grabbed the neighbour some chocolate from Rococo and some fizz, just because they always take in loads of parcels.

    May head out for a hound walk and a coffee or 2 and see what milfs are around
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • LukeTCLukeTC Posts: 211
    Flâneur wrote:
    good shaft, shame about the head, not really big enough is it.
    You just gave me flashbacks to an ex gf...
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    Look on the bright side, she had a good shaft.
  • LukeTCLukeTC Posts: 211
    Looked like a black cat was sat on her lap
  • FlâneurFlâneur Posts: 3,027
    a fluff ball cat or those skin only things that was black instead of grey? you'll be drinking the night away to remove this from memory
    Stevo 666 wrote: Come on you Scousers! 20/12/2014
    Crudder
    CX
    Toy
  • LukeTCLukeTC Posts: 211
    Jesus, the mental images to the hairless cat lol, naked mole rat style...

    But seriously, the first type, Jackson 5 :lol:
  • haydenmhaydenm Posts: 2,903
    At least there's no need to floss
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    haydenm wrote:
    They do a load of other smaller axes too so that might be a good plan. My old boss had a log splitter which was pretty handy, I was using a splitting maul as well which was bloody heavy and not that much fun after a few minutes...

    I was half hoping I would use the log splitting to get strong again for next years mtb racing though

    No - don't go for a smaller axe. Firstly, only girls do that. Secondly, the smaller the axe the harder it is as you have less big sharp heavy thing to smash into the wood (I know it's a lot about technique but you can't beat smashing things up with a huge axe). Thirdly, only girls buy small axes and all your mates will take the pissss if they see with this tiny chopper in your hands (ooooeeeerrrrr).

    We have a wood burning stove in the front room - lovely thing to chill out in front of and The Hound just lives there when it's on.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,488 Lives Here
    ... all your mates will take the pissss if they see with this tiny chopper in your hands (ooooeeeerrrrr).
    Did anyone manage to listen to the song about Butcher Pete and his chopper? Probably best listened to with headphones, no bad language as such...
  • MatthewfalleMatthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    veronese68 wrote:
    ... all your mates will take the pissss if they see with this tiny chopper in your hands (ooooeeeerrrrr).
    Did anyone manage to listen to the song about Butcher Pete and his chopper? Probably best listened to with headphones, no bad language as such...


    Not yet - I presume it's not the one about the mad Australian gangster Chopper?
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

    De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

    Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

    He's right you know.
  • veronese68veronese68 Posts: 23,488 Lives Here
    Not yet - I presume it's not the one about the mad Australian gangster Chopper?
    No, more of a ladies man. It's off this fine compilation album.
    R-3590125-1424306442-2996.jpeg.jpg
  • pinnopinno Posts: 40,277
    seanoconn wrote:
    Why am I one of the few people who seems to be heading to work! I think I'll be staging a one man strike for the next day and a half, spending my time using Ninja like stealth to raid everyone's Christmas biscuit and chocolate stockpiles.

    But you do that everyday!?

    Me chilling me. Dropped van off for exhaust manifold bracket replacement. I cba sourcing one and lying on my back wrapping knuckles on seized nuts. (Oooer missus).

    Tomorrow more chilling and sleep. Right now sneak some chocolate in and get on with dinner.

    Laters.
    seanoconn - gruagach craic!
Sign In or Register to comment.