Help me choose which model of bike is better worth the money

b. 1998
b. 1998 Posts: 88
edited December 2016 in Road general
So both of these bikes are pretty much good for value but which should I pick to purchase?

Both have my size and I have the money to buy either but I'm left stranded as to the one to buy? Both have the same groupset with minor ameliorations but the other is a carbon frame which is not so less in weight than the other so it doesn't bother me.

Bike 1: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod141273 Bike 2: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod141276 Thanks

Comments

• thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    In theory the carbon framed bike should have a nicer ride, whilst the bike with the Ultegra shifters should have nicer gear changes. They both seem like decent value for money so I guess it depends which of the above characteristics is more important to you - and which you prefer the look of!
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    The carbon one 400g lighter & I like the grey colour.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Carbon one has better frame (likely Hong-fu et al) and has upgrade potential.......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Sorry, I've never heard of Ghost.
  • Moonbiker wrote:
    I dont think the weight is an issue for me i could lose that from my body easily.
  • thegibdog wrote:
    In theory the carbon framed bike should have a nicer ride, whilst the bike with the Ultegra shifters should have nicer gear changes. They both seem like decent value for money so I guess it depends which of the above characteristics is more important to you - and which you prefer the look of!
    Are you saying the cheaper will have a bad look? Im leaning towards the alloy as ive been advised there multiples problem that could go wrong with a carbon frame. Which colour do you prefer
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    b. 1998 wrote:
    Are you saying the cheaper will have a bad look? Im leaning towards the alloy as ive been advised there multiples problem that could go wrong with a carbon frame. Which colour do you prefer

There are multiples problem that could go wrong with any frame, of any material.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Hang on you're the dude that was thinking of training to go professional ? Well if you have weight to lose - that would have to go.

TBH I don't think theres much to choose between the two bikes. Not heard of the make - but whatever.

Carbon can break - but so can aluminium. People like Rob Hayles can fix Carbon fibre in a lot of circumstances.

FWIW - i have two CF bikes for the summer and racing. I have a cheaper Alu one for Cyclocross and winter.

If you're clumsy and drop the bike a lot get something like steel ?

Hows the training going ?
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    I think you had poor advice about carbon
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    b. 1998 wrote:
    I dont think the weight is an issue for me i could lose that from my body easily.

You could do .... and if you did the carbon one would still be lighter ... or are you only saying you would loose the weight if you bought the metal bike ???
  • b. 1998 wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

So lose it from your body and your bike and you've saved 800g !! :roll:
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    b. 1998 wrote:
    So both of these bikes are pretty much good for value but which should I pick to purchase?

Both have my size and I have the money to buy either but I'm left stranded as to the one to buy? Both have the same groupset with minor ameliorations but the other is a carbon frame which is not so less in weight than the other so it doesn't bother me.

Bike 1: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod141273 Bike 2: http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/m.../rp-prod141276 Thanks

Again? I will choose neither.

Actually why these two? Just because they are on sale?

Wait after Christmas you have even better sales and for bikes you probably want.

Firstly what kind of riding do you do or want to do? Is this your first bike? If not what bike you have atm?
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    All these postings and no one has yet mentioned Decathlon/Triban..... ;)
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,622
    Given that they are the same brand and retailer, I'd say that they are the same value for money.

However, all things being equal (such as value) I'd invest more in the things that last longest, i.e. the frame/fork. The groupsets will function essentially identically and will in any case need replacing sooner. The frames could well feel very different.

There are a staggering number of options out there. Fundamentally, if you need guidance, there's no substitute for trying one out for real, which is hard if you are ordering from an internet only retailer. I'd say this is all the more important if you plan on racing or covering a lot of miles on a bike.

My advice is to go along to a couple of bike shops and get sold a bike. To get some reasonable value, I'd recommend one of the chains, such as Evans, Edinburgh Bicycle or the like - they are set up for people in your position.

If you actually need some advice on fit, components, avoid Halfords. Sorry but you probably already know more than they do. This probably also applies to Decathalon.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I suppose one way of looking at it is, hey both do exactly the same job and your skill and performance will determine how quick the bike goes, not the bike. Without trying both, you wont know what that difference is anyway, you will not know which you find more comfortable or prefer .... so that said .. you might as well save yourself some money and get the cheaper one