Groupset query

tenohfive
tenohfive Posts: 152
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm going bike shopping soon for SWMBO's first road bike and at the budget we have I suspect I'm going to have to make some compromises - either with the frame (something I'd rather not do) or the groupset. And quite frankly I'm still new to this all, so whilst I get the basic pyramid of quality (staying within Shimano anyway) I don't get where the big jumps up are, and how much of a difference they'll make.

I've got a CAAD 8 with 105 5700. I'm happy with the groupset (sans brakes, which I've upgraded myself to 105) and would like something of similar performance for SWMBO. Whilst I can't see us doing Mont Ventoux anytime soon I don't want her to struggle overly on the local hills.
I'm mindful that groupsets have moved on and been improved over the years, so is 105 still 105 - or what should I be looking at as a minimum?

Comments

• giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    If SHMBO hasn't got a bike I'm guessing that she may be pretty new to road bikes perhaps.
    I have no idea of her morphology, but providing you get an appropriate frame geometry I would say the key thing about a group set is the availability of crank length, appropriate gear ratios, hand size( for levers) etc. Appropriate bars will also be a factor.
    Ideally, I'd start with a good bike fit, then fit group set, frame etc around this.
  • She'll be having a bike fit from a reputable LBS and fit will of course take priority.
  • godders1
    godders1 Posts: 750
    Current Tiagra (4700) is a really decent group. Essentially 105 with a bit of a weight penalty and 10 instead of 11 speed. Can go to 34t big sprocket too with the medium cage rear mech.
  • Minimum, the latest Tiagra. If within budget 11-speed 105 is good enough for pretty much all of us.
  • Jerry185
    Jerry185 Posts: 143
    In order of quality and road kudos: Sora, Claris, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace
    As said above, I wouldn't go below Tiagra.
    Cassette - 28 ring on the back or 30/32 if SWMBO is a novice or you're tackling the Alps
    Compact on the front - 50/34 rings
  • Maybe not completely useful as it looks at 105 up but this is an interesting perspective:

http://blog.artscyclery.com/ask-a-mecha ... our-money/
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    What is much more important than groupset is the fit and handling. If she 'likes' her bike she is more likely to enjoy riding it.....
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    The 5700 105 that you have on your bike is not generally regarded as one of the great groupsets. I had a bike with it myself, shifting was always better with 4600 Tiagra ten speed and my older 9 speed ultegra (perhaps unsuprisingly).

Current 5800 11 speed 105 is regarded as considerably better, I've upgraded to it recently on the good bike but with the time of year haven't had much time to actually develop my own opinion of it. Reviews seem to be glowing though, and question the benefit of stepping up to ultegra.

The new Tiagra 4700 ten speed is certainly viewed as better than the old 4600, at the price that backward compatibility on gear pull ratios has been abandoned, so only the cassettes are backwards compatible - derailleurs and brifters must be 4700 to work together.

So, to agree with the above, I'd be looking at 4700 Tiagra at a minimum, 5800 105 at a push, and would actively avoid 105 5700 in the unlikely event any older bikes deals are still floating about with it.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Jerry185 wrote:
    In order of quality and road kudos: Claris, Sora, Tiagra, 105, Ultegra, Dura-Ace

FTFY
  • Thanks very much. She ended up with the bike she liked, and it's got 105 on it. So happy all round.

And an interesting article Londoncommuter that's worth reading generally - thanks.