Repair stand?

jacksoneaker
jacksoneaker Posts: 60
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I've started getting more intense with my home bike matinence.

Is a repair stand a necesity? Or I should there something else I should use instead?

And if repair stands are just great, which ones?

I've heard good things about the feedback sports mechanic repair stand, anyone have experience with one?

Thanks!

Comments

• mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    I wasn't sure if i needed one or not so picked up a£30 jobbie from Decathlon. Decent enough for the price and turns out i do need it. Just makes everything easier.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Cool - good work for £30.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • bmxboy10
    bmxboy10 Posts: 1,958
    If you want cheap get the Decathlon or Lidl/Aldi version - I think these are nearer £20.

Think about how the bike fits to the stand - some have a frame/seatpost clamp others allow you to rest the bike on the stand often meaning the front wheel has to be removed. Both have pros and cons.

If you want to invest some money in a stand bite the bullet and get the Park PCS10 - love mine.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I have a feedback stand ... it's perfect in every way ... I would go as far to say that I get more enjoyment out of using the stand as I do the bike. Every time I use the stand it makes me smile and I walk away thinking "why didn't I buy one of these years ago"
  • Eittch
    Eittch Posts: 15
    I asked myself the same question recently and bought a Parktool PCS 9 for 90€. That was a good decision, makes maintenace much easier and comfortable.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Park Tools PCS10. Will last you a lifetime.
  • I decided I didn't need a workstand. I cut the end off my finger in my fixed wheel by falling on the pedals (was re-attached).

Get a stand.
  • lesfirth
    lesfirth Posts: 1,382
    I have a Lidl stand which is excellent value. One thing to consider if you are working in a confined space is that a stand with 4 legs takes up more space than a 2 leg V base.You need less space at the back of the stand with a V base.
  • paulbnix
    paulbnix Posts: 632
    I first bought an Aldi stand.
    It was ok but because the clamps are screw in they take an age to tighten and they slip - it would never hold the bike at an unbalanced angle.

I then bought a Planet X Jobsworth stand in one of their sales. Its similar to the Park but cheaper - doesn't seem to be available currently but Merlin have a similar one on sale https://www.merlincycles.com/bike-tools ... Ao2R8P8HAQ

It is so much easier to use - quick release clamps and a proper locking rotating head.

So if you anticipate using it frequently - get something better than the basic Aldi/Lidl model.
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Further to my post yestreday, this is the one from Decathlon. https://www.decathlon.co.uk/one-bike-wo ... 27950.html

Easy to stow away, quick release clips, and the tube clamp swivels so can be used to grip the top tube or seat post.
  • SME
    SME Posts: 348
    A stand is handy to have for maintenance, and for cleaning. My bike goes on the stand, the wheels come off and a chain keeper goes on the back.

I bought my stand off of Amazon for £25. It's statue, and robust enough for my requirements.
  • drshoe
    drshoe Posts: 27
    I bought an amazon one for £30 ish, figuring if it wasn't needed I can always return. Turns out to be a great investment. Can't imagine fiddling about with groupsets without one. Also, makes cleaning so much easier.

I'm sure the park ones will be better, but definitely recommend it if you have the space to keep it.
  • markyone
    markyone Posts: 1,119
    Colnago c60 Eps super record 11
    Pinarello F8 with sram etap
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    I use a stand pretty well after every ride, to wash the bike, clean out the brake blocks etc. For this, a stand that clamps to the seat post works for me - especially if one is a properly equipped winter cyclist with full mudguards.
    For heavier jobs like changing bottom brackets, taking pedals off etc a front fork/ under bracket type heavy construction stand provides a firm working support. These stands won't work with full mudguards though.
  • kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    MrB123 wrote:
    Park Tools PCS10. Will last you a lifetime.

I picked one of these up in a sale last year. Great bit of kit.