Switched to tubular - emergency advice

Jerry185
Jerry185 Posts: 143
edited December 2016 in Road general
New bike has Conti GP4000 22mm tubulars which, learning curve updated, is the 'best thing ever' and 'will never puncture.' I've seen advice on repairing damage in the workshop/home, but when you're on the road and miles from home?
Advice please on what to carry in the pouch;-
- spare tyre and sealant
- inner tube with valve extension
- nothing at all?

Thanks

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Not sure an inner tube will be much use with a tub. A spare pre-glued tub would be the norm.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Ha. I punctured two of these on one short ride. That was an expensive mile.

Not repairable.

You need a spare tub preglued with you.

If you have to ask are you sure you know what you're doing?
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    At the mo I am using Vittoria Rallys at £12 a tub.
    Pretty reliable on the commute... last week the tub got completely slashed by glass on a cycle path - morons who walk and think it funny to smash bottles basically.... that shortcut now deleted ..no tyre would have survived.. apart from solids.
    I was up and cycling again 5 mins.
    Spare tub and co2.
    Ruined tub fecked off into a tree top... I will retrieve it at some point next week to save the planet.
    The Rallys are ok..but you need a valve extender Topeak type... which biggest moan.. is that they are made of cheese.. Topeak , I am not interested in saving 3 grams on a winter commuter... make the bloody thing out of brass!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Can or two of Vittoria Pit Stop or other foam filling stuff: works really well, small and light to carry.

You could fill them full of Stans or similar but I've found it clogs the valves occasionally.

If you have one then yup, pre-taped tub and co2.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • jgsi
    Can or two of Vittoria Pit Stop or other foam filling stuff: works really well, small and light to carry.

You could fill them full of Stans or similar but I've found it clogs the valves occasionally.

If you have one then yup, pre-taped tub and co2.

No way will sealant do for a shredded tyre tho you need both get me home systems
  • Jerry185
    cougie wrote:

Not repairable.

That's why I'm asking - what this site is all about :roll:
  • Jerry185 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Not repairable.

I'm with OP on this. Just moved to tubs, then realised I'm not sure what the right kit to get me home is.
    Thanks for posting u/Jerry185.

One further question, will ordinary tyre levers do the job - I've got a couple on my Topeak multi-tool, or do I need something a bit more hardcore? I assume if the tyre is glued to the rim it's much harder to get off?
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    [*]
    Jerry185 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Not repairable.

Shouldn't this be part of the thinking process before you decide though ? Not after ?

Back in the day we all rode tubs as tyres and tubes were pants. Now most people I ride with are on tyres and tubes - they may not be quite as good a ride as tubs but they have got a LOT better and work out cheaper and more convenient. Why you'd go out on tubs with no spare tub is beyond me. Every club cyclist would have a tub strapped underneath their saddle with a bit of fabric to protect the tub from wear from the toestrap.
  • fenix
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    Jerry185 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Not repairable.

I'm with OP on this. Just moved to tubs, then realised I'm not sure what the right kit to get me home is.
    Thanks for posting u/Jerry185.

One further question, will ordinary tyre levers do the job - I've got a couple on my Topeak multi-tool, or do I need something a bit more hardcore? I assume if the tyre is glued to the rim it's much harder to get off?

Do you have thumbs ?
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thigh_burn wrote:

Tyre levers are for clinchers - I thought you said you were already using tubs, so you must have fitted them, in which case, it's a strange question to ask. As above, that's what thumbs are for.
  • [*]
    Imposter wrote:
    Thigh_burn wrote:

Tyre levers are for clinchers - I thought you said you were already using tubs, so you must have fitted them, in which case, it's a strange question to ask. As above, that's what thumbs are for.

Good to see everyone is getting in the Christmas spirit on here.

Also nice to see those assumptions are being leaped at with so much gusto.

But the one about my thumbs is correct, yes I do have them. But no, I didn't fit them, they were fitted when I got my wheels.

And no, thinking about flats wasn't a major part of the decision process when deciding to move over. I figured that was just a process point, something someone would be able to answer my questions on and I'd make sure I get the right gear.
  • As above, you just roll the rim off with your thumbs, don't use a tire lever. Depending on how well glued it is you will need to use a bit of pressure and roll it off in small sections, breaking the glue seal as you go.

A spare glued tub is the norm although some people I know swear by tufo tape for spares as they reckon it is easier to get on the rim. Only ever used glue myself so can't vouch for the tape but have a look for yourself.
  • fenix
    Maybe thinking about flats should have been a part of the decision process then ?

You're asking people to do the thinking for you that you should have done.

You bought the tubs - and you've just waited for someone else to ask the question you needed answering ? Pro active much ?

Some tubs you can have a sealant in that will seal small holes. You still need a spare tub with you though unless you like walking.
  • Midlands Grimpeur: Thank you.

Fenix: *Sigh* The one point you do have is that this thread would be better in Workshop. But yes, I jumped on someone else's thread as I'd been wondering the same thing. Dreadful I know. Displaying an utter lack of proactivity by using a forum where people ask questions (and sometimes get them answered) is utterly beyond the pale.

Cycling is a wonderful sport, but at times can be mighty intimidating and weirdly it's not the hills that are the most intimidating thing.
  • Thigh_burn wrote:
    Midlands Grimpeur: Thank you.

Fenix: *Sigh* The one point you do have is that this thread would be better in Workshop. But yes, I jumped on someone else's thread as I'd been wondering the same thing. Dreadful I know. Displaying an utter lack of proactivity by using a forum where people ask questions (and sometimes get them answered) is utterly beyond the pale.

Cycling is a wonderful sport, but at times can be mighty intimidating and weirdly it's not the hills that are the most intimidating thing.

Nice comeback!

But you're correct. This place is full of know it all, patronising, legends of the road these days. How dare you come on here and ask a valid question.

FWIW I recommend a wee bottle of Tufo Extreme Sealant in your back pocket and a C02. Once you get over the fear of a tub puncture and start to ignore all these internet forum terror stories, you'll realise that there's nothing to worry about. I haven't carried a pre glued tyre on a ride for years now and the Tufo has sorted any flats.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I'm actually quite miffed at some of these responses - leave the guys alone: they're trying to crack on with cycling and learning as they go.

I'll try and help here:

1 punctures. Spare tub pre glued or pre taped, or fill tub on wheel with sealant goo or carry foam puncture stuff as above.

2 Removing old tub: thumbs or tire lever to assist with getting first inch or so off then thumbs and brute force and ignorance. You can also use a pencil under the tub (sideways so you can push with both sides to lever off the tub). The wood of the pencil compresses so you don't damage the wheel.

3 Fixing on: it's an age old argument but I'd recommend taping (Janex or similar) over gluing as it's easier, quicker, less messy, less fiddly but others alike to glue. Much like the Jo Guest vs Jo Brand argument it's all about personal preferance.

4 Stuff you need when first getting them: tub. Tape or glue. Valve extender and maybe a valve core remover if you going for that sort. PTFE tape (the white stuff plumbers use to seal rad valves - helps give a perfect seal between the valve and the tender). Shitttty stick to beat off the girls who realize you are riding tube and, as you are also wearing sunglasses, now find you ridiculously attractive.

HTH
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • First.Aspect
    First.Aspect Posts: 14,626
    Jerry185 wrote:
    cougie wrote:

Not repairable.

No, this site is about being sniffed at by people who seem to have been born knowing absolutely everything.
  • jgsi
    More appropriate if it had started with an advert for Uber...............................
  • Jerry185
    Thanks all who replied positively - presumably those that know everything don't need this site except to make superior patronising digs.
    Getting a flavour now for carrying Tufo, spare (pre-stretched) tyre with tape, pencil. And some thumbs.
    And I'm asking now as I was offered a superb bike at a stupidly low cost by my LBS, and then he told me it was on tubs. So, after the initial ride the same day, I'm asking what I think I should be asking.
    Perhaps I should have turned down the Cipo bike with Zipp404 wheels on a Dura Ace groupset for £2K because I didn't know enough about tubs - silly me.
    58585 Posts: 207
    A few bits of advice which may be worthwhile or not.
    Practice removing a tubular at home in the warmth with a cold beer and youtube on hand - don't do the first one at the road side, it won't be fun... You can reglue the tubular once you take it off and that will be more good practice for you.

Check the spare has a long enough stem to go through the rim, or stick a valve core remover in your emergency kit to move the extender over from the punctured one. Check that before standing at the roadside too :D

Do use a tyre lever (plastic one) to work the tyre off the rim otherise you risk pulling some carbon off if you go down the brute force route.

Check if the valve core is at the end of the extender or the extender goes over the core - not easy getting extreme sealant in if the latter, then pitstop could still work.

Depending on how far you are from home then a can of pitstop and mobile phone might be plenty, otherwise you will probably want a spare glued tub (with extender on and checked) and a pump in addition.

You have nothing to fear with tubulars! Exploding zipp hubs and delaminating cipollini parts is what you really want to worry about.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    Jerry185 wrote:
    Perhaps I should have turned down the Cipo bike with Zipp404 wheels on a Dura Ace groupset for £2K because I didn't know enough about tubs - silly me.

Are you sure your fast enough for that bike? Also, what's your weight? Anything over 70kg and oh dear!
  • I'd avoid any kind of sealant if you can. I have an inherited Conti Competition that was filled with solution, and I've had to write the tub off due to it being so clogged-up, I can't even get air in it with a track pump! If its a cheap tub you dont mind sacrificing to the Gods of Gloop, then fair enough.

Carry a spare, and find a reputable tub repair artist if you can...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Worth noting that tub repairers will probably not touch a tub which has had sealant in it..
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    I've ridden nothing but tubs for some years now - and have 22mm Conti Comps on the best bike - so applaud your decision.

I carry:

Tufo Extreme sealant (which comes with a valve key, helpfully); I think this is vastly more effective than Pitstop, and a much smaller package.
    Tufo Elite Jet 160 spare tub (it's a get-you-home tyre, packs up super small, works a treat); I've also used a variety of other lightweight tubs, but they don't pack down quite as small.
    2 x Gas cans
    Gas head
    Mini pump
    Tyre lever - anyone who says "just roll it off with your thumbs" has either a) never tried to remove a tub in the snow or b) doesn't fix their tubs on well enough
    Spare valve extender

Apart from the sealant, which goes in a jersey pocket, all of the above along with a multitool and a spare quicklink will fit comfortably in an Arundel Tubi saddlebag.

I use tape - on carbon rims that means Jantex 14, which stays on the rim when you remove the tub; on alloy rims I use 76, which tends to stay on the tub, so I either make sure my spare is pre-taped, or I carry a roll of tape.

It's worth considering running 20-30ml of sealant preloaded in the tub if you ride on poor roads (i.e. in the UK). I use Caffe Lattex for this purpose, and it's served me well - even letting me finish the last 70k of a 250k ride on some punctured Schwalbe Ones (and they're made, I swear, of cheese).

I find tubs (apart from the Schwalbe Ones - avoid at all costs) puncture rarely. If the sealant fails to do the job, I can change the tub faster than my clubmates seem to be able to change a tube (all that arsing about trying to find whatever caused the puncture in the first place and getting your hands filthy, feh!). Amusingly, the most recent use of my emergency tub was to rescue a clubmate whose clincher tyre had burst irreparably - did you know you can fit a tub (especially a Tufo) to a clincher rim? Well, you can, and it got him to the nearest bike shop with no trouble.
  • giropaul
    giropaul Posts: 414
    No one seems to have so far mentioned the first rule of tubs - if you haven't stuck them on yourself make sure that they are properly stuck - pump up and then make sure you can't roll them off. Rolling a tub on a bend is seriously bad news :oops:
  • 964cup
    Seconded. But don't be too frightened, though. Rolling a tub on the road, assuming you run sensible pressures, is pretty hard to do. Cross-racers roll tubs all the time, but they're running 30psi and making sharp turns on sticky surfaces. Certainly I wouldn't listen to anyone who claims that tape isn't adequate. For road use, it's more than.
  • Another tufo extreme carrier here. Used it twice and both times it worked well even on a pretty large hole. I personally carry a spare preglued tub just in case I completely wreck a tyre. I have heard about not gluing a tiny patch of the tyre to make it easier to remove. Not tried it but maybe someone else can comment on how good an idea it is/isn't.

I actually like the schwalbe one but they wear quite quickly. I'm probably using one tyre a year and only have punctured when they are near the end of their life span.
    https://www.bikeauthority.cc/
    IG - bikeauthority.cc
  • 964cup
    Lucky with the Schwalbes - I think I bought three sets and none of them lasted more than a thousand km.
  • jgsi
    Rolling a tub... yup on the velodrome where a tub has to have at least 7 layers of glue before being allowed on ?? ;-)
    Rolling a tub.. downhill in the Alps for the lucky few at 40 mph+ at 30 deg C

Not such a big factor in the UK at 6am at 2 deg C at 14 mph ... around a wet miserable roundabout with shit potholed tarmac... which is real life for people.

I've done my last commute for 2016 thank f uck