Mudguards help!

Phil Fouracre
Phil Fouracre Posts: 207
edited January 2017 in MTB general
Not sure where to post this, and, purists won't like it anyway, but! Anyone know where I can get some decent mudguards for a mtb? We're using them for leisurely, comfortable riding, mainly roads and tracks.
Want something like road bike length, with width to protect from crap flying off chunky tyres.

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Not sure where to post this, and, purists won't like it anyway, but! Anyone know where I can get some decent mudguards for a mtb? We're using them for leisurely, comfortable riding, mainly roads and tracks.
    Want something like road bike length, with width to protect from crap flying off chunky tyres.

sks chromoplastic mudguards go up to 65 mm width I think. Easy enough for 2" tyres.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Alex99 wrote:

sks chromoplastic mudguards go up to 65 mm width I think. Easy enough for 2" tyres.

Yes, but the challenge is going to be actually fitting them to a mountain bike...
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    Sks beaver tail xl
    https://goo.gl/images/4C90i0
  • I've been there with my 26" bike. The front is realatively easy - something that attaches to the fork is as good as it usually gets. The rear is a hassle to get right without interfering with anything. The problem is that you've gotta go really wide with the guards, in order to catch all of the dirt. I'd recommend going from shop to shop and have a look at their selection.
    If the bike is used for really easy riding, might be worth looking into some thin semi-slick tires. They'll give you more clearance for the mudguard and the mudguard will have easier time protecting your clothes from disastrous particles of dirt. Also, the thinner tires will most likely comfort your riding style.
  • swod1
    swod1 Posts: 1,639
    I have a mudhugger front guard that is very good and a crudcatcher on the rear which work well.

On a mtb your not going to get total protection like you would get by close fitting guards you see on road bike due to frame design/suspension travel etc.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Beavertail will give the best protection you'll get on an MTB (unless it has guard mounts at the dropout).

I use them on my town hack bike (1997 Gary Fisher Piranha) and they work very well.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492

mudhugger front and back. Problem solved.
  • FishFish
    FishFish Posts: 2,152
    I don't think that the purists (whatever they are) would object to mudguards. 2017 is officially the Year of The Mudguard.
    ...take your pickelf on your holibobs.... :D

jeez :roll:
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    FishFish wrote:
    I don't think that the purists (whatever they are) would object to mudguards. 2017 is officially the Year of The Mudguard.

You be surprised what people say. They probably say if you don't like mud then don't do MTBing.
  • Thanks for the suggestions! Not a case of not liking mud :-) using mtbs (full suss) for comfy riding on roads and tracks. Too old to throw ourselves down mountains!