Tubeless or clincher?

lbmxj560
lbmxj560 Posts: 51
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all

Just got a new set of carbon clincher wheels for my TT bike (a set of Bax Carbon, 88 rear, 60 front). They are tubeless compatible. I am assuming it's a case of buying some tubeless rim tape, valve, extenders, sealant and a tubeless tyre and I'm good to go if I want to run tubeless.

Now, as I'll be using the bike for TT'ing and triathlon, the aim of the game is to go as fast as possible. So, what tyres do I get?

I've read a lot about the S Works Turbo tyres (tubeless) being dirty-fast, but then bicyclerollingresistance.com didn't rate them that highly.

Or, do I just go tried and tested Conti GP4000SII with latex tubes and not have the faff of tubeless?

Thoughts welcome

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    lbmxj560 wrote:
    Hi all

Just got a new set of carbon clincher wheels for my TT bike (a set of Bax Carbon, 88 rear, 60 front). They are tubeless compatible. I am assuming it's a case of buying some tubeless rim tape, valve, extenders, sealant and a tubeless tyre and I'm good to go if I want to run tubeless.

Now, as I'll be using the bike for TT'ing and triathlon, the aim of the game is to go as fast as possible. So, what tyres do I get?

I've read a lot about the S Works Turbo tyres (tubeless) being dirty-fast, but then bicyclerollingresistance.com didn't rate them that highly.

Or, do I just go tried and tested Conti GP4000SII with latex tubes and not have the faff of tubeless?

Thoughts welcome

I like the idea of tubeless + sealant for racing because I figure that I won't have support in case of a puncture, so it is basically game over if I do. So, with tubeless + sealant I at least have the chance of the puncture sealing and letting me continue. Only thing is, I haven't tried it yet. Others swear by it.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    I had the usual combinations of GP4000s or michelin Pro4 comp tyres with lightweight tubes.
    Last summer I changed to tubeless with Schwalbe pro1 25mm and I think they are faster, smoother and nicer to ride than either of the other tyres I've had.
    I even run them through the winter and the only trouble I've had is when I got a puncture in the cold and wet the sealant took a long time to properly seal the tyre.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    tubeless of course. Inner tubes belong in a museum.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • I've been looking at the Bax wheels for Triathlon mainly, can you post your thoughts as and when you ride them cheers. I know they're Taiwanese and basic Novotec hubs and sold with U.K. Warranty but can't find any other reviews.
  • Stick with tubes and GP4000s...lighter, more supple, more grip, less rolling resistance, less faff, nicer ride.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    Schwalbe One tubeless are fantastic tyres. Only ridden on them a handful of miles on a loaned set of wheels but they are brilliant.
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    Stick with tubes and GP4000s...lighter, more supple, more grip, less rolling resistance, less faff, nicer ride.

I have ridden both and can confirm that your statement is untrue.
    Which tubeless tyres have you ridden?
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    lbmxj560 wrote:
    Hi all

Thoughts welcome

TUBELESS
  • g00se
    g00se Posts: 2,221
    Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR are supposedly the tyres with the lowest rolling resistance:

http://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com ... speed-2016

but keep them for tt and triathlons as they wear quickly:

http://www.bikeradar.com/road/gear/cate ... ire-50114/
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    tubeless is not faff. Takes me minutes to set up
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.