Garmin VIRB Ultra 30

bernithebiker
bernithebiker Posts: 4,148
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Just a heads up to anyone considering a new GoPro this Xmas;

Having sold my trusty GoPro Silver 3+, I was all set to buy the new 5, but stumbled across a review of the new Garmin VIRB which changed my mind and had me buying the latter.

Basically Garmin's attempt to 'copy' the GoPro, it matches or exceeds just about every spec the GoPro 5 has in a very similar looking package. But what really swung it for me was the ability to easily overlay ride data onto the film and there is just about every metric you can think of; altitude, slope, G force, how long you spend in the air (!), map route, etc. plus the ability to connect to cadence, heart and speed sensors. And all that is great for adding interest to cycling vids....!

It was also a touch cheaper, but the only thing it is not is waterproof without it's case, which the 5 now is.

Anyway, well worth considering if you're in the market for a new camera.

Comments

• It looks like a good spec. I like the overlays and the voice control. My GoPro 3 drives me mental because the remote is so unreliable. I'm strapped into my seat and can't reach the bloody thing and the race start isn't going to wait.

I read recently that GoPro are in quite some financial bother after the failure of their drone. The one thing that puts me off this VIRB is that it's Garmin and, if there's a company that's more hopeless than GoPro (for product issues and support), Garmin is it.
    ROAD < Scott Foil HMX Di2, Volagi Liscio Di2, Jamis Renegade Elite Di2, Cube Reaction Race > ROUGH
  • Yep, GoPro's share price has halved since the summer, but to be honest I'm surprised it's not even lower as it seems the 5 is quite buggy (especially the software, cf. DC Rainmaker), and the Karma drone thing is just about as bad a disaster as you could have hoped for.

Maybe someone, (Garmin, Apple?) might make a bid for the company soon...?

So far so good with the VIRB - the software is slick and the camera works well. It even understands my voice commands which is more than can be said of my wife.....