Paper backed patches

capt_slog
capt_slog Posts: 3,944
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Who makes them? Or which kits use them?

Yesterday i was reapiring some old inner tubes, from when I've just swapped out a tube at the side of the road and brought the 'old' one back for repair. I was having a struggle with some of the patches in the various kits lying around in the shed.

I think the problem was that they've aged. The patches were foil on one side and celophane on the other. The foil removed easily to reveal the mating surface, but having applied the patch to the tube, there was no way i could separate it from the celophane. I treid with couple of patches of this variety and in the end i used a Halfords one which just had one piece of backing to remove.
(nice job by the Halfords patch BTW, just didn't look very smart due to no feathered edge)

So, back the original question, because when i was a nipper, my now long departed dad used to fix my puntures with patches that had a hard paper backing. Having stuck the patch to the tube, he then pinched it so that the paper split in half and he peeled the halves from the middle of the patch to the outside. Much easier to remove the backing without lifting the just-stuck patch.

The older I get, the better I was.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    I use Weldtite sheet, you cut it to suite the puncture size, it only has removeable one side (if the cellophane sticks just leave it there!) and has lasted really well, mine is now about 6 years old and still working perfectly.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/281593425911

If you buff the tyre you can also use it to repair small sidewall splits!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,522
    with the rema patches i just leave the cellophane film on there, it reduces friction when buffing the patch after gluing
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    I never take the cellophane or whatever backing the has off - slap loads of glue on, affix patch, cover whole tube in talc, Bob's your uncle etc etc.

No need to take backing off at all.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • as many above state, just leave the clear plastic layer inplace - it evetually comes of on its own ( or at least bits of it does lol )

thats just what i did after peeling off the edges of a couple of new patches as i tried to remove the clear bit after gluing - left em be in the end & just fitted the tube & inflated & rode like that for a further 3 or so years before i finally retired said tube ( mainly as it was more patch than tube by that point ) still with many of the clear plastic bits still inplace on the patches.

now i carry them glueless patches with me for use when out on a ride as well as a spare tube but still have the good old rubber numbers & fresh tubes of glue ready at home for when i need a tougher repair to tube or tyre ( i dont mind using the rubber patches on the insides of mtb tyres to patch up 5mm or so holes created by sharp rocks/flint etc so long as its in the tread section, sidewall damage = booted* till i get home & then new tyre ) thankfully only ever needed to use 1 of the glueless patches when out n about to date but its holding up well a year on nearly - too lazy to do a proper fix when i got home or change out the tube for a fresh one.

* 2L pop bottles flat side sections sliced up to suitable sizes make lovely tyre boots for little cost - per bottle you get Many boots for 23mm tyres, a few less for 25/28mm tyres, even less for 35 cx tyres, mtb tyres normally see's about 6/8 boots, 2 for fat bikes as them tyres are crazy :D ( never needed to use on myself but have handed out a couple of mine to others who aint been so lucky )