Rose X-Lite Team vs Canyon Ultimate SLX

Sanjay
Sanjay Posts: 108
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm debating buying a new summer bike to replace my Canyon Ultimate SLX from 2012. I'm wanting something offering decent value and as light as possible, areo is not a priority. I'm eyeing up the SRAM Red eTap versions of these bikes. I know how well regarded to current SLX frame is, but does anyone have any experience with the Rose? Any advice on which to go for? Rose is quite a bit lighter with a claimed 5.9kg vs Canyon's 6.3kg.

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Excellent service from Rose, from test rides to delivery. Recent well publicised feedback from Canyon customers steers me well away from them.
    Can't comment on the bikes though.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Had a both Canyon (ultimate & Strive) and Rose DX Di2).

I will now choose Rose any day and time.

I don't feel something quite right with Canyon anymore with their team and overall prices and value for money.

And Rose customer service is great! Had rims out of true over two years and contacted their customer service and they picked it up and fixed it and sent it back to me. How cool is that.

Canyon I bought a spare hanger (took three months) I almost gave up and then it turned up. Stupid really.

I bought an spectral and after a year no word from them (no joke one year) and close to Christmas I called them up and they told me it is some lame reason and I cancelled it. I think I bought something else from them but it never turned up and I never chased it up.

I used to want a canyon for every bike and I even begged them to make a disc road bike for two years but in the end I gave up on that too and bought a Rose Xeon DX Di2. Glad I did and I will never go back to Canyon. Trek is my next N+1 together with the Kinesis.

Unfortunately the new rose didn't release earlier enough so I went for a Kinesis Ti GF Disc.
  • How many Pro World Teams ride Rose Bikes.
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    How many Pro World Teams ride Rose Bikes.

1 I think (Stolting). Why? does that make a bike more suitable for the average cyclist than one ridden by loads of pro teams.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Sanjay
    Agreed. Being an amateur, I'm more interested in people's experiences with the bikes and not what the pros are using....
  • How many Pro World Teams ride Rose Bikes.

Pro team riders rarely choose their bikes - either their teams are paid large sums of money to ride them or they are given them free if a low profile team...
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    I am also looking at Rose x-lite & Canyon SLX but the disc version as i prefer the brake control on them. I already have a Rose Pro DX and must say the service was less than impressive, first the rear hub was faulty, the bike had to be returned to somewhere the south of the UK, they originally wanted me to buy a new rear wheel from them and return the faulty one and go through the refund process, then the shifter broke which they denied it was a fault the rep then even called my LBS cowboys... I guess this is the chance you take when buying online from a non UK based business either with Rose or Canyon.

I just think the design of the Canyon's are better and I am still not won over with the x-lite own brand chinese wheel set over the Mavic ones with Canyon.
  • Sanjay
    Thanks for the information. Always a trade off somewhere I guess.
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    leodis75 wrote:
    I am also looking at Rose x-lite & Canyon SLX but the disc version as i prefer the brake control on them. I already have a Rose Pro DX and must say the service was less than impressive, first the rear hub was faulty, the bike had to be returned to somewhere the south of the UK, they originally wanted me to buy a new rear wheel from them and return the faulty one and go through the refund process, then the shifter broke which they denied it was a fault the rep then even called my LBS cowboys... I guess this is the chance you take when buying online from a non UK based business either with Rose or Canyon.

I just think the design of the Canyon's are better and I am still not won over with the x-lite own brand chinese wheel set over the Mavic ones with Canyon.
    Rose allows you to select alternative wheels.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    How many Pro World Teams ride Rose Bikes.

How many ride Felt, De Rosa, Parlee, Cube, Focus (not in the WT anymore) Colnago, Wilier, etc etc.

Most bikes are pretty much the same in the upper echelons of the range. They are just super stiff bits of carbon fiber with other manufacturers bits stuck on them to make em go.
  • leodis75
    leodis75 Posts: 184
    Just realised you can get eTap disc with Rose on the X-Lite cheaper than Di2 disc at Canyon as well, I think Ultagra is being replaced in 2018 as well.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Rose any day