Two up cycle storage

daniel_b
daniel_b Posts: 11,593
edited December 2016 in Commuting chat
Morning all,

I'm running a smidge tight for space in the garage (Already have two bikes inside), but could get a 3rd in actually thinking about it.

My garage is highest by the front door, which I rarely use, so am considering something like this:
prod_59331.png
Although in terms of space it only nets me one bikes improvement if that makes sense, yes the bottom one is hung up, but it may as well be on the floor if you get me.

As it's going to be in front of the metal door, it isn't that feasible to try and put hooks and what have you into the actual door, not least as the up and over part might then not work at all.

The above I can land for £45, but wondered if there were any cheaper options out there, it's only for the garage, so not worried about looks, just need it to be solid enough.

Do Lidl, or Aldi ever stock something of this ilk??

Not in a huge hurry, so could sit tight until the spring.

Cheers
Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
Scott CR1 SL 12
Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
Scott Foil 18

Comments

• slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I needed a bit more storage after agreeing to house my brothers bikes whilst his garage is out of action ...

2 wall hangers and a bit of timber across the garage - I just pop the saddle on the bar and that's sorted - I've still got room underneath.

Cost? <£10 cos I already had the wall hangers - extra from a different project.
  • wolfsbane2k
    wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
    Yes - aldi did.
    Bike-Stand-A.jpg?o=UccG6n%40Gqt8gu%40JQK7PpxIRJ2pIj&V=ffo1
    Think it was 19.99
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • daniel_b
    Cheers chaps - I have in the interim bought the 3rd bike inside, so that has already helped, and I have 8 hooks at the back of the garage, but much like Slowbike I am also storing one of my bro's bike, on a semi permanent basis, not that one bike brakes the camels back, but you get the idea.

The big Kona is always just out on the garage floor on it's propstand, as that is in daily use, my Felt is locked into the turbo, and currently my Synapse is out leaning against the workbench - but realise with the soon to be collected tool chest\drawers, that I need more space.

Would also like my gf's winter bike to be out on the floor so it's super easy for her to take it out should she want to - as ot maximise space with the hooks at the back, I have kind of intertwined them a bit, they are fine for me to get out, as I know exactly how they all fit together, but I think she will end up scratching, or damaging a bike.

That Alsi one looks like it would probably do the job, and dirt cheap too - looks like the same concept, ie gravity and weight just keeps it against the flat surface it is leaning against.

If I bought one of these, then my Synapse could go on top, my gf's Fuji winter bike underneath, and then I would have room on the back wall to house the TT bike that is yet to be built.

Have a load of tidying and organising to do over Christmas, so will see where I am after that I reckon.

Good shout with the roof option, my garage has big old joists, and metal supports going across it, so depending on how they are set, I would wedge a big old bit of 2 X 4 in there, whack a couple of hooks in it, and hang it as if it was the upper one on that two storey rack, then the one below can just lean against the door - would be way cheaper, well perhaps not than the Aldi one, but we don't know when that will re-appear!

Thanks for the tips :-)
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • wolfsbane2k
    No worries.
    I'd not seen the Aldi one before this September, but wasn't particularly looking hard for them. I am now, of course, in need of one. Just in case you are considering waiting 8 months.....

I seem to recall that they recommended screwing into the wall for added stability.

I'm considering placing an order for a bunch of galvanised steel hand railing & parts that i'll be using to build a fixed outside maintenance/cleaning stand and a bodged version of the 2 stand frame over xmas, but we'll see...
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • daniel_b
    Sounds like you have quite the project potential there.

These are the types of hooks I am thinking of:

103762?w=637&h=403
    s-l500.jpg
    41qQreuSgPL.jpg

But not hanging it by the handlebars as it shows it, using it for the cross bar.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I have the Aldi one. It does screw to the wall and I wouldn't want to try it without! It's arguably a bit short depending on frame geometry and size- I find that the very slopey top tube of my MTB means I have to take the front wheel off to fit it even with the option of putting the hooks in at an angle.

Otherwise it is fine and very sturdy. I stretched inner tube over the hooks which are painted metal to better protect the bikes paintwork.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2016
    Rolf F wrote:
    I have the Aldi one. It does screw to the wall and I wouldn't want to try it without! It's arguably a bit short depending on frame geometry and size- I find that the very slopey top tube of my MTB means I have to take the front wheel off to fit it even with the option of putting the hooks in at an angle.

Otherwise it is fine and very sturdy. I stretched inner tube over the hooks which are painted metal to better protect the bikes paintwork.

Sounds very wise - I could make it work by drilling into the floor, and bolting a small block of wood in to stop it slipping.

However, it has now occurred to me, that since I re-roofed the garage, and jacked the front up, to improve on the 1 degree of pitch it had :roll: I now have an area at the front above the door that is made up of two big old joists stacked on top of each over - I need to measure up, but it looks like this Peruzzo folding one could do the job, and fold out of the way when not needed. I could either use it for both bikes, or a ladder and a bike.
    35250_101_SuperSize.jpg

As an aside, I was tempted by this 4 bike stand from Planet X< which yesterday was £130, and today is back up to £300!
    http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TOBSART255/bicisupport-4-level-bicycle-display-stand
    TOBSART255_P1.jpg?v=t

The footprint is pretty big though, and I think it is more for display than general usage, as would imagine lifting the rear one off if all 4 are occupied could be a bit of a challenge, if you are unable to get around the side.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • wolfsbane2k
    I looked at the hook solution, and nearly went for 2 of these, meaning I could fold away if needed with a small bit of Velcro to hold it folded away.
    952317?w=637&h=403
    http://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-ma ... ll-bracket

the external stand is needed to hold the loaded bike while I open & close the garage / clean, and it's just looking around at options.
  • When floor space is at a premium use the ceiling!

IMG_0058.jpg

I fixed a timber runner to the wall and some cheap plastic coated hooks to take the wheels. I had a pulley set from eBay which I bastardised, but tbh you just need to fix some rope to the ceiling. I've found small carabiners work well to hook onto the seat rails.
  • slowbike
    Having had to move a few bikes around at the weekend (No1 son wanted to ride ... in his bike seat on the back of one of mine) - the simple bar across the ceiling is ace - bike in the way? lift up, hook the saddle over the beam and that's it - no faff - even with 7 bikes up there I can still get to them fairly quickly.
  • daniel_b
    edited December 2016
    Thanks all,

measured the space above the door, and it's 48cm, so plumped for one of these that needs 43cm to work:

35250_1_Zoom.jpg

Discount code meant it ends up costing me about £14, so can't say much fairer than that - not due to get it until the new year now though.

Will probably update with pics if I remember.......... at this point in time I have had two doombars.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • wolfsbane2k
    Slowbike wrote:
    Having had to move a few bikes around at the weekend (No1 son wanted to ride ... in his bike seat on the back of one of mine) - the simple bar across the ceiling is ace - bike in the way? lift up, hook the saddle over the beam and that's it - no faff - even with 7 bikes up there I can still get to them fairly quickly.

I'm having to consider this as an option - i'll be going from my 2 bikes in the garage to 9 in 2 weeks time, as a colleague is having a massive clearout as their entire family is getting a new bike for xmas, and I've said i'll take them.

My "clear" the garage plan needs to accelerate!
  • slowbike
    It does block out a lot of light though ...
  • I looked at the hook solution, and nearly went for 2 of these, meaning I could fold away if needed with a small bit of Velcro to hold it folded away.
    952317?w=637&h=403

the external stand is needed to hold the loaded bike while I open & close the garage / clean, and it's just looking around at options.

I use this. Actually does not require velcro as in the up position it slots away to keep upright. Added to that is a secure chain and bolt system in the wall and the bike is out of the way and secure with another down below. I have only 2 bikes and new years resolution is to fix that
  • daniel_b
    WeezySwiss wrote:
    I looked at the hook solution, and nearly went for 2 of these, meaning I could fold away if needed with a small bit of Velcro to hold it folded away.
    952317?w=637&h=403

I use this. Actually does not require velcro as in the up position it slots away to keep upright. Added to that is a secure chain and bolt system in the wall and the bike is out of the way and secure with another down below. I have only 2 bikes and new years resolution is to fix that

Yep, you have your priorities right.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks all,

measured the space above the door, and it's 48cm, so plumped for one of these that needs 43cm to work:

35250_1_Zoom.jpg

Discount code meant it ends up costing me about £14, so can't say much fairer than that - not due to get it until the new year now though.

Will probably update with pics if I remember.......... at this point in time I have had two doombars.

I use one of these, I fastened a couple of pieces of wood to the wall first then this to the wood. This allowed it to sit further away from the wall giving me more space to fit two bikes on it. Depending on what bike your hanging on it the bars and pedals can sit against the wall reducing the space. Hopefully that makes sense! I just use it for the mtb now and use the space for tyres and tubes. I've since had to buy another floor rack as well as the stock has increased somewhat! :mrgreen:
  • daniel_b
    The Rover wrote:
    Daniel B wrote:
    Thanks all,

35250_1_Zoom.jpg

I use one of these, I fastened a couple of pieces of wood to the wall first then this to the wood. This allowed it to sit further away from the wall giving me more space to fit two bikes on it. Depending on what bike your hanging on it the bars and pedals can sit against the wall reducing the space. Hopefully that makes sense! I just use it for the mtb now and use the space for tyres and tubes. I've since had to buy another floor rack as well as the stock has increased somewhat! :mrgreen:

Nice hint, cheers!
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18