Tape pushed into spoke holes

bompington
bompington Posts: 7,674
edited December 2016 in Workshop
First puncture in thousands of miles: less than 400m from home, nasty 8mm gash in tyre. Went to replace the tyre and I found that the old tube had, in the course of those 3000 or so miles, pushed into the spoke holes - denting the rim tape in and leaving neat little bulges all around the inside of the tube.

Is this likely to cause problems for the new tube?

Comments

• andcp
    andcp Posts: 644
    No, I've got similar 'dents' on some of my wheels - however if in any doubt stick new rim tape on?
    "It must be true, it's on the internet" - Winston Churchill
  • All my wheels look like that but I only use velox. Im sure it would only be a problem if the tape ripped and exposed sharp edges though.
  • Yep, perfectly normal. With Velox tapes it's not a problem, they're very tough.
  • I had that on my Trek, wheels came without tape so I did it myself and didn't pay much attention to the overlap point.

Did a sportive in September and for some reason listened to a mate and put over 100psi in my tyres. 59 miles in and the rear wens pppssssst. I assumed a thorn and changed the tube. 200 yards later the same thing. Saw the problem and patched with with a piece of old innertube.

1 mile later pppssssttt from the front wheel whilst sat waiting at the lights.

<100 psi, no problem. Above it the pressure of the tube pushed the tape into the spoke hole and ripped around the edge.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Just a dent won't gash a tube. did you check to see where the puncture came from ?

One of my wheels has got a couple of wraps of insulation tape instead of rim tape. Works just as well if you haven't the tape.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    I had this with my old rim tape, which was basically branded insulation tape ended up with a puncture on the rim side an a few "lumps" where the tube had pushed the tape back. Gone to a cotton tape now had a single problem.
  • bompington
    Well I replaced the tube and ran it with a slightly low pressure (80) which was fine for Friday's commute (40 miles total). So I pumped it up to the usual 110 or so last night - and it was flat this morning :evil:
    I figured that it could be a problem with the tape so didn't bother changing it this morning, I'll have a look tonight.
    Cue rushed crank replacement on the winter bike - I had been waiting until I found the time to strip, clean & service the whole lot but wound up banging on the new crankset & pedals in 15 minutes this morning.
    Still, after an alarm-setting failure last week had me riding for my life to get to work in time, I think I may have found a new technique to rack training up a level. What next I wonder...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Had this problem some time back - again interestingly on a new Trek Madone 5.9 with Bontrager wheels.

Rim tape fitted was crap and ended up bulging into the spoke hole recesses. On a steep descent the rim obviously heated a bit on braking and the tape ruptured on one of the bulges with the resultant inner tube ballooning into the gap and puncturing.

Ended up fitting Veloplugs (Red) and had no further problems

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Velocity-Velo ... 1405291024
  • bompington
    Yay! I could save up to 15g per wheel!
  • Fenix wrote:
    Just a dent won't gash a tube. did you check to see where the puncture came from ?

It was at the joint in the tape but yes, however it did it it was the problem.
    Advocate of disc brakes.