I need a new crankset for my bike but on a budget!

Jeezuswept
Jeezuswept Posts: 8
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I am riding a fuji sportif 1.5 disc, this one to be exact..
http://www.fujibikes.com/global/bike/de ... if-15-disc
I ride mostly to commute. The problem I now have is that big ring on my crankset has bent round, jammed up my pedals completely. I know nearly nothing about bikes but I know this needs replacing!
however it needs to be on a budget of possible so I need to buy the parts myself and will just pay to have them fitted.
does anyone have advice on the type of crankset that I need or just one that would fit? I did try looking for the same one that cane with the bike but have struggled to find one.

thanks in advance
james

Comments

• animal72
    animal72 Posts: 251
    A pic would help.

If it's just the chainring, they can be easily replaced without replacing the chainset. Based on your post alone, I'd get your LBS to do it for you...
    Condor Super Acciaio, Record, Deda, Pacentis.
    Curtis 853 Handbuilt MTB, XTR, DT Swiss and lots of Hope.
    Genesis Datum Gravel Bike, Pacentis (again).
    Genesis Equilibrium Disc, 105 & H-Plus-Son.

Mostly Steel.
  • Animal72 wrote:
    A pic would help.

If it's just the chainring, they can be easily replaced without replacing the chainset. Based on your post alone, I'd get your LBS to do it for you...

I'm currently trying to figure out how to upload a picture. it actually looks like 4 of the 5 bolts holding the chain ring in place have come out, the ring has almost come off, bent in half and jammed up in the derailour.
    the smaller chain ring looks to be still in shape. I will take it to my LBS in the morning and see what they say.

thanks
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    You might want to have a think about how you pringled a chainring as it is a pretty difficult thing to do. Were you shifting under load which is a common mistake and accounts for many broken chains? If so, look at your technique and learn to just ease off and smoothly rotate the pedals when shifting.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Oh come on shifting under power isn't going to bend a chainring.

Had you lost the bolts before the accident? Presumably so. How old is the bike and had you not noticed? Could be a warranty issue?
  • cougie wrote:
    Oh come on shifting under power isn't going to bend a chainring.

Had you lost the bolts before the accident? Presumably so. How old is the bike and had you not noticed? Could be a warranty issue?

Turns out I had lost 4 of the bolts, this being my first road bike I really didn't know how to look after the maintenance or what to watch out for (never lost bolts on my MTB haha). I'll be checking bolts every 2 rides now!
    The bike is exactly 12months old so literally just out of the warranty period.
    After seeking some advice (here and other places) it looks like I just need a new chain ring and a new set of bolts.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    I wouldn't have thought you'd need to check (I don't), and certainly not every couple of rides.

Sounds like you've just been unlucky, although I'd like to think you'd notice play in the chaining with bolts loose never mind missing.

To answer your question though, you need a crankset that fits pressfit BB86.
  • bompington
    bompington Posts: 7,674
    Jeezuswept wrote:
    Turns out I had lost 4 of the bolts, this being my first road bike I really didn't know how to look after the maintenance or what to watch out for (never lost bolts on my MTB haha). I'll be checking bolts every 2 rides now!
    The bike is exactly 12months old so literally just out of the warranty period.
    :shock: I've never, ever lost a chainring bolt, and I abuse and neglect my bikes horribly. I'd have thought you have a pretty good warranty claim there.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    not good if the chainring bolts came loose, suggests they weren't correctly tightened, but that's water under the bridge

however i'd also give the rest of the bike a good inspection for anything else that's amiss, and inspect the chain carefully for any bent link or protruding pin

depends how often you ride, doing a check every now and then can catch issues before they become expensive and/or dangerous

some things you should detect by 'feel' such as when brakes need adjusting, which in turn is the prompt to look at whether pads will need changing soon
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    Funnily enough, I bent the original chainring on my Fuji Sportif 1.1 disk 2014. Don't recall it being anything to do with the bolts though - the bolts were fine.

I think the praxis works chainring had a fairly cheap assembly method where the outer section of it (with the teeth) was somehow bonded onto the inner carrier, but not particularly securely - it came apart on mine, and that was where it bent.

Anyway, replaced it with a 5700 50t chainring and all was right with the world.

Well, until the GXP bottom bracket exploded. Then I fitted a shimano bottom bracket that wasn't compatible, and ended up buying a 5700 chainset which PX had cheap at the time. But I digress.
  • sungod wrote:
    not good if the chainring bolts came loose, suggests they weren't correctly tightened, but that's water under the bridge

however i'd also give the rest of the bike a good inspection for anything else that's amiss, and inspect the chain carefully for any bent link or protruding pin

depends how often you ride, doing a check every now and then can catch issues before they become expensive and/or dangerous

some things you should detect by 'feel' such as when brakes need adjusting, which in turn is the prompt to look at whether pads will need changing soon

breaks etc feel fine but i was just going to replace the chain ring etc myself then send it in for a proper service. A combination of not knowing what Im doing/looking for as far as other faults go and the concern for having missed this significant problem already........ I'm guessing my life is better off in the hands of a professional at this point.
    confident I can replace the chain ring myself tho which is a start I guess haha.

thanks for all the advice!
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I have lost a couple of bolts on the chainring - but that was back in the day. Hasnt happened for yeeeears now.

It does imply that you don't look after the bike very well though ? You would have noticed a bolt or two missing when you clean it surely ? Maybe a lesson for the future. If you'd been maintaining the bike you'd not need to replace the chainring - maybe just buy a bolt or two - tops.
  • Fenix wrote:
    I have lost a couple of bolts on the chainring - but that was back in the day. Hasnt happened for yeeeears now.

It does imply that you don't look after the bike very well though ? You would have noticed a bolt or two missing when you clean it surely ? Maybe a lesson for the future. If you'd been maintaining the bike you'd not need to replace the chainring - maybe just buy a bolt or two - tops.

I'm glad you said this, it has fast become a realisation that I need to look after my bike more.
    Ivery just cleaned the chain etc for the first time EVER and am now looking at proper degreaser (I used fairy liquid), proper bike cleaning equipment (I've ruined my dad's suede brush) and lubricant.
    any suggestions for the ones to get? it seems like a flooded market.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Have a look at the mucoff kit. You can usually find a deal on somewhere for a set.

Quite a few chaincleaner tools out there too. Check the reviews on wiggle.
  • cougie wrote:
    Have a look at the mucoff kit. You can usually find a deal on somewhere for a set.

Quite a few chaincleaner tools out there too. Check the reviews on wiggle.

I just bought a much off kit and a cleaner.
    thanks for the advice
  • thanks for the advice everyone. I think I've got everything I need (except bolts.....that can wait a day).
    all of your suggestions are much appreciated. I've saved a small fortune compared to what I thought I was going to have to spend!
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Chainring bolts do occasionally come loose - once one goes the remainder tend to follow. It's the sort of thing that routine washing the bike and maintenance should pick up.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D