Matching a 10 speed gear lever to an 11 speed cassette

jwillyf
jwillyf Posts: 3
edited December 2016 in Road general
I recently replaced my Shimano 10 speed 12-26 cassette with an 11 speed 11-40 cassette, foolishly not taking account of the mis-match between the new cassette and the front Brake/gear lever. The gear change and indexing is surprisingly good over most of the range, but is not syncing properly in the middle range. There are two spacers built into the cassette. Since I am loathe to buy another cassette, do members have any advice on how I might improve things, or is the only solution to buy again, this time 10 speed?

Comments

• StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    The sprockets on the 11 speed cassette are slightly closer together. The pull ratio on your 10 speed Shimano shifter won't match it even with removing one of the sprockets to perversely make it 10 speed. Either buy a 10 speed cassette or an 11 speed shifter.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    It will never work properly. Buy a 10 speed cassette and sell the 11 speed (on ebay?).
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • buy the 11speed shifters.
  • Thanks for the replies, everyone. I kind of thought that would be what folks thought :(:(
  • mamba80
    mamba80 Posts: 5,032
    Svetty wrote:
    It will never work properly. Buy a 10 speed cassette and sell the 11 speed (on ebay?).

thats not quite true, use an 11sp chain on your 10sp set-up with 11sp cassette and it actually works very well (set the limit screws)
    until the 11sp junior cassette came out, that is what we did, i got the idea from a guy who was high up in Shimano US, he wanted a 32t cassette, so fitted a 10sp mtb one and even the Shimano tech's couldnt believe how well it worked, Lennard Zinn did an article on it, in Velonews, which i believe, then got withdrawn!
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    mamba80 wrote:
    Svetty wrote:

thats not quite true, use an 11sp chain on your 10sp set-up with 11sp cassette and it actually works very well (set the limit screws)
    until the 11sp junior cassette came out, that is what we did, i got the idea from a guy who was high up in Shimano US, he wanted a 32t cassette, so fitted a 10sp mtb one and even the Shimano tech's couldnt believe how well it worked, Lennard Zinn did an article on it, in Velonews, which i believe, then got withdrawn!

This sounds logical enough.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.
  • The point is that you may be able to use 10 of the cogs on a 10 shifter/11 cassette that you will never be able to reliably use all 11.

By adjusting the limit screws you can use the top 10 (say 11-23) or the bottom 10 (say 13-25), you won't be able to use the whole range of the cassette.

In the case of the OP - he loses either the 11 or the 40 - negating the whole point of such a wide cassette.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Adjusting the limit screws still won't fully account for the cog spacing being different to the pull ratio so things might work well across the 10 cogs selected...but it may not. I would just go down the new cassette route. A Tiagra would work great but won't give an 11-40...which is a ridiculously large range anyway and would necessitate a new chain and possibly a new RD so just spend £20 on something like a 4700 11-32. Flogging the 11 spd cassette on ebay may even get a tenner (or more) back so I don't see why anyone wouldn't go down that route.
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,219
    OP there is a 10sp MTB cassette CS M771-10 11-36T or CS HG81-10 that you may be able to make work with your RD/STI setup.
  • Like others have said about the spacing of the sprockets, (theres also a potential chain issue here) you have basically tried the cycling equivalent to inserting a square shape into a round hole. You could make the hole bigger, but it will never be a snug fit.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    How about looking at using one of the items from the shiftmate range to help with your conundrum.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    De Sisti wrote:
    How about looking at using one of the items from the shiftmate range to help with your conundrum.

I was thinking that myself. They must work reasonably well or they wouldn't still be around.