General Buying Advice

ScottLev10
ScottLev10 Posts: 16
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
So I've caught the cycling bug, and am contemplating what to do as far as purchasing. I currently have a Cannondale Quick 6 hybrid, and am debating whether to upgrade it (i.e. new wheelset, new components etc.) or buy a road bike. I tend to use it for leisure rides (average around 7-8 miles a day...I know it's not a lot), but also want to start using it more for commuting. I also want to have a bike for longer distance riding when the weather gets better (it's winter on my end) So, advice? Upgrade the Cannondale or go for new bike? I have also put some thought into cyclocross bikes, as the roads in my area are pretty bad. If I go with a new bike, try to find a nice used model and haggle? My budget is pretty tight, but I was thinking of carbon frames (hence going used). Any advice (provided it's not obnoxious) is welcomed!

Comments

• Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    ScottLev10 wrote:
    So I've caught the cycling bug, and am contemplating what to do as far as purchasing. I currently have a Cannondale Quick 6 hybrid, and am debating whether to upgrade it (i.e. new wheelset, new components etc.) or buy a road bike. I tend to use it for leisure rides (average around 7-8 miles a day...I know it's not a lot), but also want to start using it more for commuting. I also want to have a bike for longer distance riding when the weather gets better (it's winter on my end) So, advice? Upgrade the Cannondale or go for new bike? I have also put some thought into cyclocross bikes, as the roads in my area are pretty bad. If I go with a new bike, try to find a nice used model and haggle? My budget is pretty tight, but I was thinking of carbon frames (hence going used). Any advice (provided it's not obnoxious) is welcomed!

Generally speaking, you get better value by going for a whole bike compared to upgrading many things on a bike. If your current bike is worn out, or just not serving your current purpose, then think about a new bike. How long is your commute and do you need to carry much? It might be that you need something more utilitarian than racy. So, think mudguards and rack e.g. a touring road bike or a modern disk brake road bike that has the option of fitting rack/guards. These will also have take larger tyres which are better for broken roads. A cross bike is also an option, but I would take the option of full mudguards seriously if you're using it every day and for commuting.
  • shortfall
    shortfall Posts: 3,288
    Don't get hung up on having a carbon frame, there's lots of great aluminium and steel bikes out there as well, particularly if money's tight. You don't say what your budget is but my advice would be to keep the hybrid as a second bike for commutes or whatever and take a look at Ribble or Planet X who are currently doing some good deals on bikes. Upgrading a hybrid is a pretty pointless exercise imho and you'll probably spend nearly as much as buying a complete new bike and end up with something worse.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Probably not worth throwing a load of money at your hybrid. Any "upgrades" are not going to make it noticeably faster or materially improve the ride.

Why not ride your current bike through the winter with a view to getting yourself a new bike in Spring? Like you say, there are a lot of very versatile bikes out there now variously described as cyclocross, adventure, gravel etc etc. Those would fit the bill for commuting on poor roads but still do the job as you increase your distances.

The best advice is probably to find a well stocked and friendly shop where you can see a few different bikes in the flesh and have a test ride of a couple. No need to get hung up on carbon, particularly if your budget is tight.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 9,031
    Unless your local roads are unsurfaced tracks there is no need to get a cyclocross bike on their account.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • singleton
    singleton Posts: 2,523
    When it comes to bikes, I do some research and narrow it down with my "head" to a few options.

Then I buy from those options with my "heart" and I get what I want. That way, I will be more inclined to get out there and ride it.

CAAD12 sir?
  • Alex99
    Alex99 Posts: 1,407
    Singleton wrote:
    When it comes to bikes, I do some research and narrow it down with my "head" to a few options.

Then I buy from those options with my "heart" and I get what I want. That way, I will be more inclined to get out there and ride it.

CAAD12 sir?

CAAD disk? Tyres up to 35, full guards...
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    Alex99 wrote:
    ScottLev10 wrote:

Generally speaking, you get better value by going for a whole bike compared to upgrading many things on a bike. If your current bike is worn out, or just not serving your current purpose, then think about a new bike. How long is your commute and do you need to carry much? It might be that you need something more utilitarian than racy. So, think mudguards and rack e.g. a touring road bike or a modern disk brake road bike that has the option of fitting rack/guards. These will also have take larger tyres which are better for broken roads. A cross bike is also an option, but I would take the option of full mudguards seriously if you're using it every day and for commuting.

Not true at all. If you buy some build with Di2 you can build it for much less for example. Some of course are cheaper if you buy whole but that's only a handful.
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    ScottLev10 wrote:

Get the one bike that does it all.

I got myself a Kensis GF TI Disc and can't be happier and that's coming from Canyon Ultimate, Rose Xeon DX Di2.

I use it mainly for commuting and it is a dream to ride paired with Di2 and Hunt Aero wheels with 30MM Schwalbe S One Tubeless at 50 psi with Crud Road Racer Mk3 (I have that on all throughout the year to keep bike clean).

But again can't give much advice not knowing your budget. But i've learned now to push your budget as far as you can or even beyond what you think you can to get the one you really want and like so you won't keep thinking about getting another one which will end up costing you more down the road.