Front derailleur Shimano Sora FD-3303 replacement

dizzydane
dizzydane Posts: 322
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Hi all,

The spring mechanism on my front derailleur broke yesterday and I’ve noticed the FD-3303 is no longer sold any more. Quick search on eBay returns one result but it’s a clamp on mount – I need braze on.

I tried fitting a Shimano Sora 3503 Triple 9 speed and it doesn’t give enough clearance for the top gear teeth (52T triple). I looked at other Shimano models and all the new components seem to be for 50T on the front.

Any recommendations for a replacement would be greatly appreciated (hoping not to have to change the crankset too).

Many thanks,
Kayls

Comments

• keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are you saying it won't clear the big ring when it's mounted right at the top of the slot in the braze-on?

If so you could try an Ultegra 6703 triple front mech. They are designed to operate with a 52t chainring. Quite an expensive experiment if it doesn't work though...
  • Thanks keef66.

The Sora 3503 sort of fits, but needs to be set slightly higher on the frame for noise free shifting - the new design doesn't allow for it to come up much.

It looks like the Ultegra 6703 triple front mech could do the job. I can ask my LBS if they will fit the Ultegra 6703 as a trial...
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    Remove the braze on tab and fit a clamp type mech - you can then set whatever height you need
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Thanks Svetty. Looks like a trip to the bike shop is in order...