Boardman HT Comp to On One Fatty

Gobs
Gobs Posts: 296
edited December 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm probably barking up completely the wrong tree here, but could I buy a Fatty frame and transfer all the bits across from the Boardman? I need a smaller frame for my partner (the Comp is a medium)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably not. AFAIK all the Fatty stuff like hubs, BB, cranks etc is wider.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    ps why would you want to make a fatty with skinny wheels? Kind of defeats the object.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Definitely up the wrong tree.
  • Gobs
    Thanks. TBH I was looking at the 2nd hand small frames available and saw that online. On One head angles seem pretty relaxed overall which would suit
  • Gobs
    Will an FS Team frame of the same era (2011-12) be a match? Many of the parts look near identical, except the 2x10 setup on the drivechain (which I assume will fit the 9 speed Comp parts)
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    The vast majority of parts will swap between most 'conventional' frames, usually just seatpost/clamp and front mech plus headset being issues.

Recently we've had an explosion of 'standards' (kind of making a mockery of the word) such that so many bits wouldn't fit its not worthwhile trying to do a frame swap (such as the idea of putting the bits in a fatty frame).

Best thing to do is compare the original specs for the bikes but in this case it looks like you'll have most parts compatible without issue.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gobs
    Would the 2x10 cranks work with the 3x9 chain etc? Surely there's not much difference in the thickness of the chain.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Yes the cranks will work, but the triple front mech may or may not work with the double chainrings.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Gobs
    Thanks