La Passione winter jackets

mrb123
mrb123 Posts: 4,787
edited January 2017 in Road buying advice
Wondering if anyone on here has got one of these and can offer some feedback.

The La Passione website suggests a temperature range of minus 5 to plus 7 degrees. How accurate have people found that to be?
Any feedback regarding sizing? Sleeve length in particular. The sizing guide suggests I'm a medium or large on the waist and chest measurements but somewhere above XXL on height!

Comments

• Like all jackets treat the temp claim as being a bit misleading. -5 is a pretty cold temp and without something meaty as a base layer you will feel the cold. Looking at the construction there's no good reason why a Helly Hansen Freeze under that won't get you down to -5 just as the -3 claim for the Lusso Repel Extreme I'm testing is subject to the same point.

I've no idea what their innovative double layer is though, sounds just like a fleece lined jacket to me. Nice mind.
    My blog: http://www.roubaixcycling.cc (kit reviews and other musings)
    https://twitter.com/roubaixcc
    Facebook? No. Just say no.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Like all jackets treat the temp claim as being a bit misleading. -5 is a pretty cold temp and without something meaty as a base layer you will feel the cold. Looking at the construction there's no good reason why a Helly Hansen Freeze under that won't get you down to -5 just as the -3 claim for the Lusso Repel Extreme I'm testing is subject to the same point.

I've no idea what their innovative double layer is though, sounds just like a fleece lined jacket to me. Nice mind.

Yeah, looks to be some sort of double layer softshell with a fleece lining. No other insulation per se but potentially pretty warm with the right base layer as you say. Would probably need to be careful with sizing to ensure there's room for a layer or two underneath - the fit looks to be on the snug side.
  • I think that something that would be good at -5 would be far too warm at +7, given the 12 degrees temperature swing. I tend to find the temperature variation of any of my Autumn/Winter gear depends entirely on the layers I wear underneath. I would very rarely go out in Autumn/Spring without a layer underneath, and of course never in Winter, but it all depends on how hot/cold you get, and how hard you are riding - I can find that leaving the house at 6.15am in winter and being comfortable will mean that by 6.45 I am too warm (or at least sweating like a stuck pig!) on my 18-19 mile commute.
    I would say though that La Passione are good to deal with - I have a couple of pairs of bibs from them, and they are the comfiest I own, and I always check out their range if I'm after something specific. Plus they do claim to very ethically and environmentally sound. Which is nice.
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I would say though that La Passione are good to deal with - I have a couple of pairs of bibs from them, and they are the comfiest I own, and I always check out their range if I'm after something specific. Plus they do claim to very ethically and environmentally sound. Which is nice.

Hi LakesLuddite, how is their sizing? Is it very 'Italian'?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 75,661
    Beatmaker wrote:

If it's anything like their summer kit yes.

The XS is right for me, if a touch on the slim side.

For context, rapha XS in anything but the pro-range is flappy on me.
  • Beatmaker wrote:

I don't think it's that 'Italian', compared with Castelli and Sportful - I bought bibs in XS as the size guide suggested, and they were okay, a little tight but not too bad. I then got another pair in S, and they were better. In Castelli and Sportful I have M, and they seem very similar to LP size S. So I would say LP are nearer standard UK sizing rather than the smaller fitting 'Italian' sizing.
    Having said that, this is for bibs only - I don't have any of their jerseys.
  • Beatmaker wrote:

I don't think it's that 'Italian', compared with Castelli and Sportful - I bought bibs in XS as the size guide suggested, and they were okay, a little tight but not too bad. I then got another pair in S, and they were better. In Castelli and Sportful I have M, and they seem very similar to LP size S. So I would say LP are nearer standard UK sizing rather than the smaller fitting 'Italian' sizing.
    Having said that, this is for bibs only - I don't have any of their jerseys.

I have several of their jerseys (RAW, Summer and Winter long sleeve) and would agree with this statement. It's by no means so tight that you have to go up a size, a la Castelli, but it is certainly a race-like fit. I'm personally a big fan of their kit in general, and I find the fit is perfect for me.

I'm 5'11, 65kg and I wear a size small in La Passione (Medium in Castelli, Small in Rapha Pro Team).
  • So, at the upper end of 39" chest I suspect I need a large rather than a medium? But not an XL?
  • Hmm, they suggest XL for me, not that it's much of an issue as there doesn't seem to be much left. Hmm.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    I received my 3/4s the other day and I'm impressed.
    The pad appears the same as in my Spokesman tights but seems better placed, more like your shape already when you put them on rather than bending in to you when you pull them up (if that makes sense),
    I went for a Large as suggested and may have got away with Medium as they're quite stretchy. Thought about a cheapish jersey too (sale) but always had the impression their stuff is a bit tall and thin for me plus I`ve been at the Rapha sale a bit recently... I`ve always wanted to try their shorts but again I hear they`re long in the leg which no good for a 170cm guy and after getting the 3/4s I really think I`m missing out with the shorts not suiting me.
    For £65 posted they were a bargain (Raphas were £145 in the sale when I ordered the LPs !)
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.