Cassette spins both ways

jude2001
jude2001 Posts: 53
edited December 2016 in Workshop
So I went out on a ride this morning and my cassette wasn't catching the wheel. This progressively got worse and 3 miles into my ride it didn't catch the wheel at all and was left behind by my group. I managed to get the cassette to catch and soft-pedaled home but I found out the cassette was moving back and fourth on the freehub. I checked that the cassette was tight and it was.I then removed the cassette to find the freehub looked fine so I put the cassette back on and now the play on the cassette is gone. Will this happen again now there is no play in the cassette?

Comments

• bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Maybe, maybe not, depends on what caused it in the 1st place. When you say the freehub looked fine, was there any gunk in there (old grease/dirt etc)? Degrease fully, then re-lube with a light oil (dry chain lube is good). Check pawls are moving freely and that the spring(s) are correctly located. Then reassemble.

GCN vid https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDwH0QOnn_Y&t=15s
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • Wot he said!
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Winter woes .. if you are a ride and forget type of guy, then things like this will catch you out every now and then.
    You can always keep the back wheel in your bedroom during the week.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    globalcyclenetwork on YouTube just posted a video on servicing the freehub pawls. Basically remove the freehub, clean out any grungy mess in there, lube as dictated by that manufacturer and reassemble.

I doubt the cassette was spinning both ways on the freehub, I expect the freehub was spinning both ways on the hub!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Thanks Guys! I've sorted it now :D