Use spare front wheel on turbo trainer?

Felipe2105
Felipe2105 Posts: 68
edited December 2016 in Workshop
I've just bought a turbo trainer for my road bike and want a spare wheel with a turbo trainer tyre on (as its easier!).

I have a spare front wheel and wondered how easy it was to put a rear cassette on and use it on the turbo?

Comments

• You simply need to rebuild it with a rear hub - do new hub, new spokes and a couple of hours to build it & true it.

Short answer: not easy, but it straightforward.
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Felipe2105 wrote:
    I've just bought a turbo trainer for my road bike and want a spare wheel with a turbo trainer tyre on (as its easier!).

I have a spare front wheel and wondered how easy it was to put a rear cassette on and use it on the turbo?

A complete waste of time and money. There are plenty of new cheap wheels out there that you can buy for little money and use on the turbo.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Just not worth the effort, go on eBay and pick up a local rear wheel.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    You can't be serious?
  • This will only work if you pedal backwards when on the trainer so it is still a front wheel.
  • dennisn
    dennisn Posts: 10,601
    Felipe2105 wrote:

This is the part of the post that got my attention.
  • Clicked on the title while seriously contemplating why someone would bother swaping out the front wheel on a trainer... :oops: