Upgrade Colnago Alu frame to Trek Alu frame - pros and cons

iceinbangkok
iceinbangkok Posts: 26
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I wrote a post earlier in the year asking for advice as to whether to invest into my Colnago Primavera 2008 frame or change up and the general consensus was to keep it. I did that - and went in several events this year including a hilly 100mile race a few weeks ago. I have done a lot of ks and a lot of training on my balcony (cycleops trainer). Overall the bike met my requirements - the frame fits me well and I find it comfortable. As some suggested it might be, it was a real asset downhill - stable and confidence inspiring. I didn't change too much on the bike - I did save 500gms plus by switching out the crankset to 105 5700 (got a good price). I also got some mid-weight wheels. But I still have the Tiagra 4500 gearing and 9 speed cassette. I found the gear changes generally pretty good - except when I came under pressure uphill in the long race recently. I also found on tough terrain the shifters didn't feel stable underhand grip.

So as I get ready to do more cycling in 2017 and more serious events I am thinking again to either upgrade the Tiagra gearing - or to look sideways at a similar model with better gearing. I can get a Trek ALR5 for 1100usd. I am not sure how the frame would compare to mine - but it would have full 105 components. Changing out the shifters, Derailleurs, cassette, chain etc would cost about 400usd.

Would welcome thoughts on it.

Comments

• lincolndave
    lincolndave Posts: 9,441
    It sounds like the Colnago suits you fine , I would upgrade the Colnago if I were you
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Regardless what the name on the frame says, they're both made in Taiwan by Giant - you'd notice more difference by putting some decent wheels on your Colnago
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..