Carbon Aero Disc Wheel choice. Budget 750.

Spartacus1981
Spartacus1981 Posts: 254
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Afternoon, looking to buy a set of carbon aero disc wheels that are fairly wide with a deep (ish) profile for around 750 quid or maybe a bit less. I do really like the look of the Hunt Wheels but 1100 is blowing my budget by quite a lot in fairness so I need to look at some others. What I'm looking for is clinchers of that description. Does anyone have any personal recommendations ? Currently looking at Wheelsmith 45, but with the wheel smith hubs I barely save any weight over current Fulcrum 5 Disc Brake wheels, or Cero Cero CRD38 which seem pretty good at just over 500 quid atm from Cycle Division at 1545 grams .. Can anyone advise other options I should be looking at ?

Comments

• Or .. HUNT Aero Light Disc | Road Wheelset | 1469g | 28Deep 22Wide | £469 ?? Not really deep a 28mm but these seem super light.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Have a look at what Malcolm at Cycleclinic has to offer

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... 6-5mm-wide

£660 for 50mm deep with Miche Primato hubs

or some similar wheels but tubeless ready for £750

http://thecycleclinic.co.uk/collections ... 6-5mm-wide

Malcolm is a frequent contributor to the forum and a well respected builder.

EDIT :- My bad - just re-read the OP's post and realised he is after Carbon Aero Disc wheels. Disregard the above - don't think Malcolm offer carbon disc clinchers - aero or otherwise.
  • Hi Arlowood, thanks for responding anyway. I'd be happy to buy from Malcolm but like you say I don't think he does these options. If you think of any others let me know. DCR Wheels seem to do some options in a 40mm depth around 750 quid but I can't work out if they're carbon rims. Might contact him.
  • mrb123
    mrb123 Posts: 4,787
    Have you considered a Chinese import, eg Farsports. Bit less to worry about with them when you're going for disc wheels. They let you choose your hubs from a few options including Novatec and DT Swiss.
  • Hi MrB123. Yes I had thought of it tbh but wasn't sure it was a great idea. I'd be more tempted if I could understand their website mind. I've always found it difficult to navigate for some reason ...
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    Pushing your budget but a pair of Hope Carbon 45 clinchers will set you back £880 ish

http://www.wheelies.co.uk/p78957/Hope-C ... GwodkqkOKw

Above link shows price for front wheel at £418. Rear wheel is £470
  • mrb123
    Hi MrB123. Yes I had thought of it tbh but wasn't sure it was a great idea. I'd be more tempted if I could understand their website mind. I've always found it difficult to navigate for some reason ...

Something like this?

https://www.wheelsfar.com/cyclocross/50 ... elset.html

People on here have said they're pretty helpful in dealing with email enquiries.
  • Thanks. Yes those could be an option. How exactly did you find the Disc ones on the site as I struggled ... I think I'll email them and see what they say.
  • mrb123
    Thanks. Yes those could be an option. How exactly did you find the Disc ones on the site as I struggled ... I think I'll email them and see what they say.

As far as I can see all the disc ones are under the Cyclocross tab.
  • OJS
    OJS Posts: 130
    I've just sold a pair of the Wheelsmiths, purely as I found them too difficult in cross winds or gusts and I don't ride fast enough on the flat to really put them to use. They were grand in Summer but where I live it's usually blowing a gale.

They were really nice though, well finished, looked the part, really stiff feeling but not overly harsh. Really easy to run tubeless, no difficulty fitting the tyres. If they had been doing the tubeless 30s or 38s when I bought mine, I would have had them instead, but they only did non tubeless 38s then, and now I don't have the extra funds to top up what I got for the 45s.

You could feel the aero effect at 20mph and above on the flat.

I wouldn't worry about the weight with running their own hubs, as hub weight won't have as much difference, plus you can run tubeless and save some weight where it matters.

I'd have another pair no questions, but then I'd also look at the Hopes and the Fulcrum Quattros, which you can get with a 10% off at PBK easy enough for 800. But if prob end up back at Wheelsmith, as I had a good experience.

If Malcolm can do an aero disc option then I'd speak to him too, he did me a lovely set of rim brake wheels. As for Hunt, I've just dropped £369 on some Mason X Disc to replace the Wheelsmiths as they looked the ticket on price, weight, width and come set up tubeless out of the box, with adapters to run all rotor types and axles. They arrived yesterday and they look sweet but they have come with nylon tape on for some reason, with a roll of tubeless tape that is the wrong width. This has really riled me and spoiled the new wheel day - awaiting their response to my complaint before deciding if I keep or get them to collect and refund. The description said they come taped up tubeless and the lack off faff convinced me to try them over the Hope 20Fives.

Hope this helps - sorry for the Hunt rant!
  • Thank you OJS. In fairness I don't know if I'm kidding myself as it's bloody windy around here too. Perhaps I'd be better off going for a shallower wheel with a lower weight rather than a bling looking wheel. That's frustrating for you with the Hunt wheels mate and I hope you get it sorted. The below actually look fairly decent tbh and got good reviews. Even though they're not aero or carbon ! Decent width , price and weight though ...

https://www.cycledivision.co.uk/cero-ar ... -23mm-7470
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    actually I do disc brake carbon rimmed wheels as well. finishing the prototype this week just got to test them.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • PM'd you Malcolm.
  • Shame you dont want tubs. Planet X are doing vision metron 40 for 500 odd quid at the moment. I've had some for a couple of years. Great wheels, especially for that price!
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    Re: Carbon Aero Disc Wheel choice. Budget 750.
    by noodleman » 13 Dec 2016 11:08

Shame you dont want tubs. Planet X are doing vision metron 40 for 500 odd quid at the moment. I've had some for a couple of years. Great wheels, especially for that price!

I can see a rim brake wheel, but no disc version?

#edit#

I take that back, I was looking at the sale page. What a great deal!
  • 1750 grams seems heavy for those Vision Metron 40 Disc Carbon Tubulars no ?
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    1750 grams seems heavy for those Vision Metron 40 Disc Carbon Tubulars no ?

Yes. The Vision website has them listed at 1550 gr. I'm guessing 1750 is for the clincher.
  • They are 1550g. Not at all bad for a 40mm well built wheelset.
    argon 18 e116 2013 Vision Metron 80
    Bianchi Oltre XR Sram Red E-tap, Fulcrum racing speed xlr
    De Rosa SK pininfarina disc
    S Works Tarmac e-tap 2017
    Rose pro sl disc
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    Beatmaker wrote:
    1750 grams seems heavy for those Vision Metron 40 Disc Carbon Tubulars no ?

Yes. The Vision website has them listed at 1550 gr. I'm guessing 1750 is for the clincher.

I'll sell you a set of under 300KM disc versions of those in clincher for 850 if you're happy going second hand?
  • mike1-2
    mike1-2 Posts: 456
    750 even.