Campag Eurus rim problem?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited December 2016 in Workshop
I just bought a new rear rim for a Eurus wheel thinking that they haven't changed since 2011 only to find there is difference. The spoke holes are drilled into individual raised platforms rather than in to one raised platform for all three spokes. The holes are also more widely spaced. It looks the same for Shamals. Does this mean that the existing spokes will not be the correct length for the new rim? What year did the design change? Did the hub also change?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Hard to say... how much is the difference? I would think that if it's around 5 mm it probably doesn't change things much.

These are G3, so the hub needs to be designed so that the two spokes at the sides of the triplet come out perfectly tangential to the hub, in your case there will be a small angle... again, if the angle is less than one degree, it's probably not a big deal, but if it's more then the wheel might perform less well (or the spokes might fail).

As always, only one way to find out
    left the forum March 2023
  • on-yer-bike
    on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
    GFK has replied on Weight Wheenies and it sounds like no go. Even with the correct rim it is potentially fraught with issues. Have you ever built a G3 wheel?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • GFK has replied on Weight Wheenies and it sounds like no go. Even with the correct rim it is potentially fraught with issues. Have you ever built a G3 wheel?

I can't remember. I did build a few Campagnolo wheels and they were all a PITA, your Neutron was up there with the most tedious builds... I occasionally still have nightmares about having to fit those asymmetric washers :wink:

I did repair a Eurus and I can see why GFK would advise against... it is a royal PITA with those nipples
    left the forum March 2023