Holdsworth at Planet X -any good?

mrfpb
mrfpb Posts: 4,569
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Holdsworth single speed frames are currently £64-£130 at Planet X

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOLAQ/ho ... d-frameset

Are these any good? I see they weight 4lbs/1.8kg for frame and fork. They certainly look nice.

Comments

• mrfpb wrote:
    Holdsworth single speed frames are currently £64-£130 at Planet X

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/FRHOLAQ/ho ... d-frameset

Are these any good? I see they weight 4lbs/1.8kg for frame and fork. They certainly look nice.

Weight is surely for frame only... Bargain nonetheless
    left the forum March 2023
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I'm sure they are fine as frames go - tuther week they had a build it yourself 'kit' which included everything IIRC, for £233 though.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • timothyw
    timothyw Posts: 2,482
    I'm certainly tempted, particularly as the XL is my size.

Problem is I already have a Verenti isolation (disk braked singlespeed steel drop barred cross/commuter) and I fear this'll be too similar. If I'm getting another singlespeed it needs to be one that I would actually be willing to ride for (outdoor) track events should the situation arise.

Dolan FXE or precursa is probably a better bet for that usage, although nearly double the price of this, and that's if I reuse a fork.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    I think you have just talked yourself out of buying it!

I was very tempted by the £233 offer recently, and had I sold my Langster in the summer I probably would have gone for it, instead I have modded it and will continue with what I have.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    TimothyW wrote:
    I'm certainly tempted, particularly as the XL is my size.

Problem is I already have a Verenti isolation (disk braked singlespeed steel drop barred cross/commuter) and I fear this'll be too similar. If I'm getting another singlespeed it needs to be one that I would actually be willing to ride for (outdoor) track events should the situation arise.

Dolan FXE or precursa is probably a better bet for that usage, although nearly double the price of this, and that's if I reuse a fork.

If it's for track, get something with a more track orientated geometry that isn't covered in mud-guard mounts.
    Apart from that, stella price, even the non-sale £93 options would make a decent commuter.