Cannondale Crank arms

germcevoy
germcevoy Posts: 414
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I fancy the below chain rings for my 2015 Supersox Evo. I'm not going near the super high end SiSL kit as it cost a fortune. If I was to go for these rings, what are my options for the crank arms? Current crankset is the FSA Gossamer that came as standard.

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/component ... ing-p15811

Comments

• mercia_man
    mercia_man Posts: 1,431
    Those Spiderings are replacement rings for Cannondale's own cranksets. They will not fit normal cranksets. If you must have those rings and don't want high end SiSL kit, your best bet is to buy the cheaper Cannondale Si crankset complete with Spiderings from Triton Cycles at £314.99.
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Those spider rings are one piece. i.e. both small an large ring are hewn from one piece of material. For anyone who does any climbing at all, the small ring will inevitably wear out before the large ring (as is the way with any small ring).
    The rub comes with the fact that you cannot separate them and so the still perfectly serviceable outer ring will have to go in the bin prematurely, along with small ring that has had a long and happy life, but has alas fulfilled it's natural useful life span.
    Looked at that way, they are even more expensive than the OTT retail price at first suggests. :!:
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Those spider rings are one piece. i.e. both small an large ring are hewn from one piece of material. For anyone who does any climbing at all, the small ring will inevitably wear out before the large ring (as is the way with any small ring).
    The rub comes with the fact that you cannot separate them and so the still perfectly serviceable outer ring will have to go in the bin prematurely, along with small ring that has had a long and happy life, but has alas fulfilled it's natural useful life span.
    Looked at that way, they are even more expensive than the OTT retail price at first suggests. :!:

If you 'win' this thread by invoking common sense, can you have a look at press fit BBs afterwards??
  • MikeBrew
    @ OP : I've just converted Rotor Q rings, and love them- I've gone to 52/39 Q's from 50/36 round. I only bought them on a whim as they were half price, but am delighted with the 52 on the flat and - rather unexpectedly - the 39 on climbs. Might be a way forward if you're yearning for new shiny stuff. Form AND function.
    Mind you, I do have an 11/32 set up at the back, so 50(or52)/36 would be better for short cage RD set ups. 34T Q ring has negligible ovality as far as I can see.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    MikeBrew wrote:

I hardly think that a moderate proportion of climbing will have the dramatic effect you imply. Granted mainly using one ring - either of them - will see that ring wear faster than the other but beyond this it isn't reasonable to say (unless your purpose is to troll Spiderings without a strong objective justification.......).
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • MikeBrew
    Wow... ! Boring afternoon in the office eh....... :roll:
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    MikeBrew wrote:
    Wow... ! Boring afternoon in the office eh....... :roll:

So you first troll Spiderings then aim a cheap dig in reply to my factual posting. Do you have anything positive to contribute?

Thought not
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • MikeBrew
    Working late, or home and still bored ?.........Bless you. :mrgreen:
  • I admit I purely fancied the rings because they look the part but I don't want to spend a fortune. I run 52/36 and 11/28 as standard but want one easier gear so I have to go 11/32 or down to a 50/3. Undecided as of yet but don't like the standard Gossamer crankset, hence the shopping around.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Germcevoy wrote:
    but don't like the standard Gossamer crankset, hence the shopping around.

What don't you like about the Gossamer crank?
  • MikeBrew
    I've had Cannondale Hollowgram that came on a new bike, and have since switched that out for SRAM Red which I rate much more highly. The Hollowgram is about the same weight as the SRAM Red, but costs more and needs proprietary tools to remove the crank arms and spider.
    The arms also quickly look tatty as the black finish (paint) rubs off and scratches very easily. Luckily I heli-taped mine from new and so got a reasonable return on them from ebay. Based purely on aesthetics, spider rings are great though.
  • Imposter wrote:
    Germcevoy wrote:
    but don't like the standard Gossamer crankset, hence the shopping around.

What don't you like about the Gossamer crank?

There is quite a bit of flex in the rings. Plus I prefer 170mm vs the 172.5 that came on the bike. They have just passed 4000 miles and I'll keep them on through winter but I'll need to replace the chain and cassette and wouldn't mind changing the crankset at the same time.
  • MikeBrew wrote:
    I've had Cannondale Hollowgram that came on a new bike, and have since switched that out for SRAM Red which I rate much more highly. The Hollowgram is about the same weight as the SRAM Red, but costs more and needs proprietary tools to remove the crank arms and spider.
    The arms also quickly look tatty as the black finish (paint) rubs off and scratches very easily. Luckily I heli-taped mine from new and so got a reasonable return on them from ebay. Based purely on aesthetics, spider rings are great though.

Did you switch just the chainset or go full SRAM?
  • MikeBrew
    Full Red... Love it. :D
  • jdee84
    jdee84 Posts: 288
    MikeBrew wrote:

How much did you get for it on eBay roughly I ve been thinking of selling mine. Is it a bb30a? Did you need an adaptor to switch to SRAM?
  • MikeBrew wrote:
    Full Red... Love it. :D

That's another option though Red way way above what I'd be needing.
  • MikeBrew wrote:

:lol: At wearing out the small ring first!
  • MikeBrew
    Obviously pot bellied weekend warriors who assiduously avoid anything steeper than the side of a cats-eye will have no such issue with or, indeed, use at all for the small ring.
    Well, not the one on their bike anyway........ :wink:
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    MikeBrew wrote:

:lol: At wearing out the small ring first!

I wouldn't! Just as I wear out small cassette sprockets first, I have worn out small chainrings first. They do wear faster though the differences are less pronounced. And, of course, if you haven't got a silly crankset and rings there's always the possibility that you can reverse the inner ring to double its lifespan.

Of course, if you are the sort who gets bored with your kit long before you wear it out then this is entirely irrelevant. It does take a good 15 -20,000 miles to wear a small chainring out IME.
    Faster than a tent.......