Fluid v. Mag

n733lk
n733lk Posts: 44
I'm looking at indoor trainers. Don't want to spend a ton of money. I can get a couple different fluid trainers for under $150, or many different Mag trainers for under $100.

Opinions? Suggestions?

Thanks!

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    fluid feel better, the bigger the flywheel the better
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    cheap mags feel terrible, I have one in my garage folded up in the corner that nearly put me off of using a turbo forever, they have this kind of digital feel to the resistance, you set it and its hard work, until you get over a certain cadence, then all of a sudden its easy, so you up the resistance, repeat.

its hard to explain but its nothing like riding on the road, more like riding through really deep mud if you go slow its hard work but as you speed up the resistance is broken and you pop out the mud slow down again and it hits you .... perhaps its less like mud and more like an aerofoil on a boat.

ach I ramble ... get the fluid
  • n733lk
    Thanks for the input. I went with the Fluid. Should arrive tomorrow!
  • n733lk
    Oops, I guess I ordered the Mag. Ha!

Anyway, bought the Bike Lane Mag Trainer. So far so good. Really enjoying it. Giving me a great workout. My only criticism is that the manual tensioner is not very useful; one click, and you're done. Don't know why it has 5 settings. The only way to use the tensioner is if you're already at such a high gear, the tensioner will allow you to go LOW.