Bont Vaypor wide fit or alternative

iron_duke
iron_duke Posts: 117
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Thanks to those who bother to read and offer advice.

Looking for some new cycling shoes and as a bit of a hobbit with wide high arched feet liked the look and sound of the Bont Vaypor wide fits but can't seem to find any online for my size (41/42). Wanted to avoid eBay as hear they can be hit and miss if you don't get on with them so would like the ability to try and return.

If anyone knows where they might be stocked be grateful if you could point me in the right direction.

Also any alternative suggestions for my foot type appreciated.

Comments

• The only way I found to get wide fit vapours is via the custom or mybonts option on the bont shop itself. I just got my second pair a few months back and love them.

http://www.bontcycling.com/mybonts/index.html

But as they are made to order you cant return them if you dont like them and they are expensive ...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Depending on how wide your feet actually are, you might be ok with regular fit. I take a Clarks 'G' fitting (ie wide) and am fine on regular fit Bonts, although mine are A2s, not Vaypors. The moulding process helps a lot.
  • Wiggle normally carry a decent stock, depending on which version of Vaypor you are after
  • Scratch that, having just checked. They have really cut down on what they carry from Bont.
  • peteco
    peteco Posts: 184
    Pretty certain that I got my Bonts from Sigma Sport.

Pete
  • Depending on how wide your feet actually are, you might be ok with regular fit. I take a Clarks 'G' fitting (ie wide) and am fine on regular fit Bonts

Same here, I had a pair of Bont Vaypors for a couple of years and regular fit was fine for me so you may get away with them.

Only thing I have come across that are wider are the current S-Works shoe (you'd need the new model, pre 2016 are very narrow in the toebox).
  • stevie63
    stevie63 Posts: 481
    I have a pair of wide fit 42.5 that I don't use that I only wore a few times before deciding they weren't for me. If your interested I could bung them in the classifieds.
  • Thanks for responses.

Looking at the bont sizing online charts not sure I would get away with the normal with ones as need size 46 before hit recommended width for my feet.

Peteco- online Sigma don't seem to have the wides but may be worth a visit just to get an idea if I could get away with standard as Imposter suggests.

Stevie63 - I've go a small foot (40.5/41) so think the 42.5 would be too long but thanks for the offer
  • laurentian
    laurentian Posts: 2,505
    Like you, I have wide and very flat feet. I bought some standard Bont Riot and found them perfect for me including my orthotics without even heat moulding them. Riots are available at Wiggle, Tredz and so on.
    Wilier Izoard XP
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    Iron_Duke wrote:
    Thanks for responses.

Looking at the bont sizing online charts not sure I would get away with the normal with ones as need size 46 before hit recommended width for my feet.

Peteco- online Sigma don't seem to have the wides but may be worth a visit just to get an idea if I could get away with standard as Imposter suggests.

Stevie63 - I've go a small foot (40.5/41) so think the 42.5 would be too long but thanks for the offer

make 100% sure you have the correct bont size chart, there are different charts for different models

bont say the measurements are the actual shoe dimensions, i think you need to choose a size that will give c. 5mm clearance to your largest foot measurement, maybe more if you will wear thick socks

at least with the vaypor s, you can get a bit of extra width by moulding, but not a huge amount
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • I'd look at some Lake shoes if I were you - they do a wide fitting and half sizes.

And they have a halfway decent footbed in them ( with some arch support) as opposed to the Vaypors when I tried a pair on. The difference in complete lack of shape to the Bont footbed was astonishing when I pulled it out to have a look ( I had a Lake Wide on one foot and a Bont on the other and when stood up wondered what was wrong with the Bont...).
  • Sun god - Pretty sure I had the correct sizing as was going through Bont website and appropriate models.

coops1967 - thanks for suggestion will take a look at the Lakes
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,471
    Another vote for trying on pair of normal Bonts if you can. I have pretty wide feet and the Vapour Plus just seem to be made for me. I've never even needed to heat mold them, they were a perfect fit straight out of the box. In retrospect I can't believe I crammed my feet into Sidis for years..

P.S. I should say that I wear mine with custom orthotics to provide arch support.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    coops1967 wrote:
    I'd look at some Lake shoes if I were you - they do a wide fitting and half sizes.

And they have a halfway decent footbed in them ( with some arch support) as opposed to the Vaypors when I tried a pair on. The difference in complete lack of shape to the Bont footbed was astonishing when I pulled it out to have a look ( I had a Lake Wide on one foot and a Bont on the other and when stood up wondered what was wrong with the Bont...).

tbh this shows the risk of assuming any one shoe will fit a given person, some shoes just don't match some feet, especially where there are differences in amount of arch support needed

for me, the lake 402s were impossible to get right, even after multiple moulding and trying different sizes, whereas the vaypor s were immediately more comfy and after perfecting the moulding are the best i've had
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny