New Specialized Roubaix or Synapse Black Inc?

fari11
fari11 Posts: 2
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi all,

I am thinking of getting an endurance bike with disc brakes and trying to decide between the new 2017 Roubaix Expert with Ultegra Di2 or the 2017 Cannondale Synapse Black Inc with Di2. Both bikes are pretty much the same price, the Black Inc has very good components (e.g. Hollogram SL wheels, carbon bar and stem), since it's supposed to be the top-of-the-line Synapse. I used to ride a Synapse before and loved the handling. The fit was very good also.

But then again, I'm somewhat drawn to the Roubaix Expert. It's the 'newer' bike, even though I'm not sure about the suspension, especially on sprints. I would have to upgrade to a better wheel set at some point. Unfortunately, I cannot test ride the Roubaix (they don't have it in my size).

How would you choose? The Synapse seems to be the safe bet and also will be lighter by far (probably around 7.5kg), whereas the Specialized probably will be about 8kg.

Comments

• Seems like you have already made the decision? Go with the one your heart tells you to go with, not your head!

To me the suspension on the Roubaix seems a bit 'gimmicky', and that C'dale looks ace!
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I rode a new Roubaix a couple of weeks ago .... the suspension is very good when you hit rough roads and cobbles. BUT ... its just not needed, I cant see it being a benefit unless you are doing 4 hours of bad road surface.

the downside to the suspension is the brake dive ... its reminiscent of old mountain bikes with forks that new to the scene ... you touch the brke and there is always an immediate dive forward ... not by much, but its noticeable and slightly disconcerting, you might get used to it, but the whole 10mins I spent on the bike I didn't like it.

Before comiting get a ride on the Roubaix as you might hate it !!!!

I certainly would rather one without the suspension ... I have a 2007 Roubaix Sl ... and the 2016 is a better handling bike, feels more compliant, feels newer .... but I would still prefer the SL1 without the suspension

Not ridden a Cannondale though to compare
  • Must admit the suspension would put me off I can literally remember once feeling really, really uncomfortable on the hoods through vibration and that was going over a 200mtre stretch of Cobbles near a French train station. If that was my commute I would be all over the Roubaix!

When it was launched I liked the better look of the New Roubaix my next ride I tried to actually think how much feedback I was getting and how much of it was useful I came to the conclusion I would rather feel what is going on under the front wheel.

Lastly I have Supersix "for summer" and GT Grade for winter and to be quite honest the difference in ride quality is not a lot the Synapse must be lush if they think they have improved on the Six!