New clipless pedals, might I need to change seat height?

Thigh_burn
Thigh_burn Posts: 489
edited December 2016 in Workshop
I've just gone from SPDs to Speedplay and I'm wondering if I need to raise my seat. Took the bike out today and felt like I was a bit lower than I had been previously.

I have also just changed my wheels, but I suspect it has more to do with the pedals. Is this likely? Might I need to raise my seat a bit to compensate for the cleats?

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    I went from Looks to Speedplay and haven't adjusted the seat at all. We are talking mm here anyway. It's not been an issue for me.
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Clip a shoe onto a pedal and measure from the pedal axle to the bed of the shoe inside. A pair of bow legged calipers helps here. Then do the same with your old pedals with the spds. Compare, then decide if the saddle needs moving. Cant see how wheels can have any effect on pedal to saddle height.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Thigh_burn wrote:
    I've just gone from SPDs to Speedplay and I'm wondering if I need to raise my seat. Took the bike out today and felt like I was a bit lower than I had been previously.

I have also just changed my wheels, but I suspect it has more to do with the pedals. Is this likely? Might I need to raise my seat a bit to compensate for the cleats?

If it feels lower after the change, then it probably is. Raise a few mm until you are happy that you have your previous position.
  • Indeed, Speedplays are amongst the lower stack height pedals out there, so you could have lost some height and thus need to raise your saddle, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 5mm.

Have a check here:

http://speedplay.com/index.cfm?fuseacti ... ompareroad
  • bbrap
    bbrap Posts: 610
    Indeed, Speedplays are amongst the lower stack height pedals out there, so you could have lost some height and thus need to raise your saddle, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 5mm.

Have a check here:

If the stack height is lower surely you would need to lower the saddle.
    Rose Xeon CDX 3100, Ultegra Di2 disc (nice weather)
    Ribble Gran Fondo, Campagnolo Centaur (winter bike)
    Van Raam 'O' Pair
    Land Rover (really nasty weather :lol: )
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    bbrap wrote:
    Indeed, Speedplays are amongst the lower stack height pedals out there, so you could have lost some height and thus need to raise your saddle, but I'd be surprised if it's more than 5mm.

Have a check here:

If the stack height is lower surely you would need to lower the saddle.

True enough, but if he has the three-bolt adaptors on his shoe plates (no idea if he has or not), then he may still end up with a higher stack..
  • Thanks. I do have the three hole adapters.

Having read a bit more the odd thing is that it seems the SPDs have a greater stack height than Speedplays as mentioned above, so it should be lowering the level not raising it. But I'm going to raise it anyway as it feels too low. We'll see how it goes.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    I wonder if your shoes are the same distance back and forwards to the crank centre ..... ie if your foot was further back on the pedal so more toes than balls of feet, would it make a difference to how the seat height feels ?