Rear brake squeeling

kwwmackenzie
kwwmackenzie Posts: 4
edited December 2016 in The workshop
Hi,

I've recently had issues with my rear brakes making the distinct squealing noise. I shimano SLX hydraulics. What ever I did I couldnt get rid of the noise. So I replaced the disks and the pads, all new.. front brakes are fine and bedding in, the rear though I still have noise issues with. The front feels stiffer when pulling the lever. I did bleed both also. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Are you spraying lube on the chain?
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Hi, nope. Made sure I didn't do that after fitting new pads/rotors so I could rule that one out.
  • Are the caliper mounts perfectly square?
  • Hi, yeah, they've been calibrated. They've now also had time to bed in.
    Had this problem for a while now hence I replaced the pads and rotors. My only thought is possibly a leak in the system thats stopping me getting a full bite when I pull the levers in. I'll take to a bike shop, been reluctant to do so as the last time I did they made a mess of it and actually hadn't closed the bleed nipple properly which resulted in fluid on the pads, ruined my trust in bike shops a bit.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    Brakes can squeal for lost of reasons if you have older Avids with the CPS washers the lack of stiffness seems to make it much more squeal prone for example. Lightweight discs are also more prone to the odd howl.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.