New Rear Hub Quieter after less than 50 miles

WuMyster
WuMyster Posts: 60
edited December 2016 in Workshop
Does a hub going quieter always indicate something bad (pawls closed)? Hoping so, so I have an excuse to get it reassembled to get my loud hub noise back.

Comments

• The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    What on earth does pawls closed mean?

Probably just the grease has got spread about, I don't like noisy go freehubs and a thin wipe of grease works wonders.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    If your pawls were stuck you'd not be going anywhere when pedalling. Freehubs usually go quiet when they are lubed; maybe yours has redistributed it's grease. Or is it possible it's got water in it and frozen...?
  • The Rookie wrote:
    What on earth does pawls closed mean?

Probably just the grease has got spread about, I don't like noisy go freehubs and a thin wipe of grease works wonders.

Sorry stuck no closed.
  • keef66 wrote:
    If your pawls were stuck you'd not be going anywhere when pedalling. Freehubs usually go quiet when they are lubed; maybe yours has redistributed it's grease. Or is it possible it's got water in it and frozen...?

Maybe it's distributed, but then again the clicks are not "distributed". The hub is clicking at different volumes. I noticed the hub quieter as I was nearing the end of my ride today. Can't freeze that fast surely.
  • The Rookie
    Depends on how warm it is when you set off!

My commuter is stored in an outbuilding, it took about 400m of riding for a cable to freeze solid the other day.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • step83
    step83 Posts: 4,170
    Will depend on the grease, some become thicker at low temps or even freeze as Rookies said. You can make them louder with a light weight grease or quieter with more of said grease or using a heavier grease type.
  • Think you guys are right. It was the coldest the bike has been ridden on yesterday. Today was no where near as cold in London and the hub was sounding alright. Must be temp affecting the grease.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    As long as it engages and freewheels when you want it to, the sound it makes (or doesn't make) is utterly irrelevant.
  • Imposter wrote:
    As long as it engages and freewheels when you want it to, the sound it makes (or doesn't make) is utterly irrelevant.

Completely irrelevant to the performance but very relevant to the pleasure of my rides.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    WuMyster wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

Completely irrelevant to the performance but very relevant to the pleasure of my rides.

That was a joke, right?
  • Imposter wrote:
    WuMyster wrote:
    Imposter wrote:

That was a joke, right?

Nope. Really is a pleasure to my ears, I don't know why.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    I like a quietly purring Shimano freehub, while others prefer the clackity clack of a lightly oiled Campag or Fulcrum. Each to his own.

My MTB in the 90s had a rear hub which claimed to have a 'Shimano silent clutch', and which was indeed completely silent when freewheeling.
  • The Rookie
    Step83 wrote:
    Will depend on the grease, some become thicker at low temps or even freeze as Rookies said. You can make them louder with a light weight grease or quieter with more of said grease or using a heavier grease type.
    Nope, it was water in the outer cable as its routed like a U- bend past the BB.