Hed Ardenne rims with DT 240S hubs?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Is his a good combination regarding spoke angles etc?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• No, it's not
    left the forum March 2023
  • MikeBrew
    MikeBrew Posts: 814
    Oh Yes it is (he's behind you !).... :wink:
  • on-yer-bike
    No, it's not
    Why?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • No, it's not
    Why?

Because it's not a good combination for spoke angles... the flange distance is too short... it will be OK if you have no other choice, but there are more suitable hubs
    left the forum March 2023
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    Come on Ugo, tell him what he needs to hear, its like getting blood out of a stone.
    I have Chris King with those rims, My LBS has the necessary tools, I would have bought Hope, but they did not do 11 speed at the time.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Try white industries, carbon ti for blingy hubs or chris king. The carbon ti hubs are very light.

Shimano dura ace hubs are another option.

You could however forget blingy hubs and use cheaper hope or miche.

Expensive hubs to me are just that. You get a choice of nice colours, nice branding, a nice looking hub and all of the above are reliable but so are the cheaper one like miche.

So understand why you are buying the pricey hubs. With dt swiss you dont even get a NDS good bracing angle so you really are just buying a name there.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • on-yer-bike
    Not for me. Someone ask me to build them for him with XRays. After I had worked out all the spoke lengths etc he weighed up the costs and has probably decided to buy ready built HED ones 18/20. He is 85kg. I guess 240s are made for deeper rims.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo