Recommendations for pedals?

w1lz
w1lz Posts: 37
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi there. So I currently have flats and always have. I'm looking at clipless pedals but I'm slightly concerned. I use my bike for two purposes. One purpose is a 4 mile each way commute. The other purpose is essentially training/ sportive rides.

My commute has about 5 roundabouts, roughly 10 sets of traffic lights and a couple of t junctions... So a lot of stopping! I'm worried that if I get clipless I'll just be constantly worry about clipping in/ holding up traffic trying to clip in. How hard is it and how quickly can you do it? Should I be looking at pedals that can do both flats and clip less? What do others do for commutes?

Obviously for my training rides clip less should be fine as its mainly country roads with little stopping, just the commute I'm worried about?!

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,640
    Shimano m520 and mtb shoes.
  • Fypo
    Fypo Posts: 24
    I find SPD-SL, which are the road specific ones easy enough to clip in to at stop lights and have never had a problem, but mtb ones (SPD) may be better for you, they are double sided so easy to clip into and you can also actually walk around with them, there is no real disadvantage of using them on a road bike either so they wont be worse than SPD-SL for training.
  • smoggysteve
    smoggysteve Posts: 2,909
    If you want cheap and reliable get SPD-SL. If you want to walk about for more than 5 meters for any reason get spd. If you want good performance with double sided clipping in get Speedplay. If you have more money than sense get Keo Blade.

Tbh. The best all round pedal for me has always been speedplay. They are a bit more expensive but they are easy to clip in and out. Lots of adjustment and double sided. You can even get cheap flat clip on platforms for commuting if you don't want to wear cycling shoes. No other pedal is as versatile imo.
  • daniel_b
    daniel_b Posts: 11,870
    edited December 2016
    I would second the option of M520 pedals, and go for carbon soled mtb shoes - CRC frequently have them for around the £100 mark, and the pedals can usually be found for around £18\£20.
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Marin Palisades Trail 91 and 06
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Cannondale Synapse Adventure 15 & 16 Di2
    Scott Foil 18
  • daniel_b
    oxoman wrote:
    Go for SPD and either MTB type shoes or touring style that way you can actually walk easier, most pedals are double sided so easier to clip in and out of. Practice clipping in and out before going into proper traffic, the cleats are also longer lasting than spd as they are metal instead of plastic.

The metal SPD cleats are longer lasting that plastic SPD-SL I think you mean?

For the OP's benefit:

SPD (Double sided pedals, 2 bolt fitting):
    shimano-sh51-spd-cleats-oe-black-EV192337-9999-2.jpg
    SPD-SL (Single sided pedals, 3 bolt fitting):
    G000233V.jpg
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • JesseD
    JesseD Posts: 1,961
    Depends on how much walking you do in your cycling shoes IMO.

As has been said above if you have any amount of walking to do then SPDs and MTB shoes, if you dont then SPD-SL's.

I personally use the SPD-SLs without issue, clipping in and out becomes second nature after a while and you will wonder how you managed without them.
    Obsessed is a word used by the lazy to describe the dedicated!
  • ZMC888
    ZMC888 Posts: 292
    I much prefer SPD-SL to MTB SPD pedals. They are IMO easier to clip in and out of and they really aren't so bad to walk in. Also they seem slicker and therefore a little less jarring on the knees and other joints with more float.

However for a 6 mile each way commute I think the MTB pedals make more sense.
  • Time Atac Pedals,Shimano RT82 shoes
  • fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    Time Atacs for me too.
  • dinyull
    dinyull Posts: 2,979
    JesseD wrote:
    Depends on how much walking you do in your cycling shoes IMO.

As has been said above if you have any amount of walking to do then SPDs and MTB shoes, if you dont then SPD-SL's.

I personally use the SPD-SLs without issue, clipping in and out becomes second nature after a while and you will wonder how you managed without them.

This. You might have 1 or 2 moments getting used to them but they soon become 2nd nature.

If you go SPD-SL I'd go either Carbon or Resin. I sued to buy the cheaper metal ones - clipping in and out used to wear them down and after a while they'd need replacing as the cleat would unclip whilst riding.
  • w1lz
    w1lz Posts: 37
    Thanks all for your comments! I reffered back to this thread today as I was at decatholon making the plunge!

Ended up with mtb shoes m089 Shimano (not my fave in style but liked the ratchet do up). And m520 pedals!

Thanks for all comments now time to test :-)
  • Remember to back the spring tension right off at first to make clipping in/out much easier.
  • daniel_b
    w1lz wrote:
    Thanks all for your comments! I reffered back to this thread today as I was at decatholon making the plunge!

Ended up with mtb shoes m089 Shimano (not my fave in style but liked the ratchet do up). And m520 pedals!

Thanks for all comments now time to test :-)

Nice one, Ratchets rock!

And to echo MIddleRinger - do remember to back it off, but also remember to back it off on ALL 4 sides.
    I did it for my cousin once, but only did one side on each pedal, giving her two easy clip in, easy clip out pedal faces, and two that were somewhat more challenging for a beginner to get in and out of :oops:
    Felt F70 05 (Turbo)
    Scott CR1 SL 12
    Scott Foil 18
  • hsiaolc
    hsiaolc Posts: 492
    w1lz wrote:
    Hi there. So I currently have flats and always have. I'm looking at clipless pedals but I'm slightly concerned. I use my bike for two purposes. One purpose is a 4 mile each way commute. The other purpose is essentially training/ sportive rides.

My commute has about 5 roundabouts, roughly 10 sets of traffic lights and a couple of t junctions... So a lot of stopping! I'm worried that if I get clipless I'll just be constantly worry about clipping in/ holding up traffic trying to clip in. How hard is it and how quickly can you do it? Should I be looking at pedals that can do both flats and clip less? What do others do for commutes?

Obviously for my training rides clip less should be fine as its mainly country roads with little stopping, just the commute I'm worried about?!

Speedplay no doubt especially for commuting.

SPD XL is a nightmare (used it for 6 months) and just stupid design really. Thats coming from riding SPDs for years on a mountain bike.

One day I came across a pro having a speedplay and I thought hey they look amazing so I gave it a try. I wish someone would told me sooner so I didn't have to suffer that many months of SPD XL and invested so much in it as well.

Not to mention the stupid cleat of SPD XL the bottom is made out of just some thin plastic so you constantly buying new ones due to tear and wear.

Speedplay new walkable is rubbish. If you are going down the speedplay route then get the normal metal ones and just get some keep on kovers (make sure you stick it down with no more nails tape).
  • earth
    earth Posts: 934
    Speedplay Frogs
  • Crank Brothers Eggbeaters
  • look keo's or similar.
    If you want mtb shoes and mtb pedals on a road bike then thats fine too, it is almost christmas.