Yet Another Tubeless Question (or 2)

doomanic
doomanic Posts: 238
edited December 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
1.Is there any way of telling if a wheel is set up tubeless without taking the tyre off?
2. If it's not, what do I need to buy to convert it?

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    1. Yes, stick a nail in it.
    2. Depends, but probably tubeless rim tape, valves and sealant. Google Stans tubeless kit. Or ghetto tubeless.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • doomanic
    Sticking a nail in it seems a trifle extreme, I was hoping for a method that required less effort...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    take the tyre off. If there is no inner tube....
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    doomanic wrote:
    Sticking a nail in it seems a trifle extreme, I was hoping for a method that required less effort...

Get drunk, fall down the stairs, break your arm, go to local A&E, take wheel, take biscuits, offer radiologist a biscuit if she'll x-ray the tyre.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • LimitedGarry
    LimitedGarry Posts: 400
    edited December 2016
    The cleanest way to tell with 100% certainty is letting the air out and taking a peek. You don't need to take the tire off completely, just unseat the bead on one side by pushing inwards. Really takes nearly no effort, just five minutes of work at most, including inflating the tire with a minipump.

Other methods may not be guaranteed, because of the different ways of setting up tubeless. For instance, you may undo the valve securing nut and hit the valve with a hammer. A spray of white goo will be a sign that the tire was set up tubeless. This method may not work if the setup involves tubeless strips instead of plain tubeless valves.
  • doomanic
    cooldad wrote:
    doomanic wrote:

Get drunk, fall down the stairs, break your arm, go to local A&E, take wheel, take biscuits, offer radiologist a biscuit if she'll x-ray the tyre.
    That's more like it, I'd get time off work too. Any idea which biscuits work best? If it was me a choccy Hobnob would be a surefire winner but if the radiologist is a hottie it may have to be a pseudo biscuit like a GoAhead...