10 and 11-speed compatible compact chainrings - any recommendations?

buckmulligan
buckmulligan Posts: 1,031
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
I'm looking for some chainrings to go on my new Quarq; they need to be both 10- and 11-speed compatible, because I'm planning on switching it between my turbo-specific bike (10 speed) and proper road bike (11-speed) and don't want the added faff of switching chainrings every time I move it! I'm looking for a compact, 50/34 setup, so 110BCD and preferably in a black finish to match the Quarq.

Any recommendations?

N.B. am I right in assuming that 10-speed chainrings won't work on an 11-speed setup? I'm just using some Shimano 105 5750 chainrings with it on the turbo bike at the moment, but I'm guessing that these won't work on an 11-speed Dura Ace 9000 setup, is that definitely the case?

Comments

• 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    All 10sp chainrings will work with 11sp. No need to worry or change them.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    i use 11-speed chains with my old srm, with old 10-speed sram red and new praxis works rings, no issue at all
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • Pretty sure all internal measurements are the same on 8, 9, 10 and 11 speed chains, it is just the external size that changes ie the plates are thinner.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 17,129
    yes

as far as chainring spacing goes, in spite of the reduced external chain width i believe sram actually put the rings wider apart to allow extreme cross chaining on the small ring given the increased cassette width
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • frisbee
    frisbee Posts: 691
    Praxis Works, lovely quality and fit perfectly on my Quarq.

They can be fitted as either hidden bolt or non-hidden bolt chainrings.
  • Thanks for the replies. I might just give the 105 rings a go on my other setup then and see how it shifts.

Just out of curiosity, which Praxis rings do you use?