Aero wheels or aero bike?

Balazsgal
Balazsgal Posts: 65
edited December 2016 in Road buying advice
Just pressed a button on a tcr adv sl2 2017.Question is to get a aero wheelset on it or just wait quite a bit and try to save up for a propel too?Club league,crits.on my mind at the moment,getting into the game seriously enough now.Any recommendation would be appreciated.thanx. Also mentioning a few options would b fantastic,meaning as usual question:zipp 404 vs vision metron vs reynolds slg etc.... thanx again everyone.

Comments

• fenix
    fenix Posts: 5,437
    In the real world you'll not notice any speed differences between the two frames.

Look at any picture of a cyclist head on - the bike is almost invisible. the cyclist is by far the biggest area.

Aero roadset in a bunch race won't make much difference really unless you're planning on lone breaks ?

I'd save the cash and see how you get on. Don't race anything you can't afford to replace.
  • Aero bike/ wheels for crits?

Jesus
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Fenix wrote:
    In the real world you'll not notice any speed differences between the two frames.

Look at any picture of a cyclist head on - the bike is almost invisible. the cyclist is by far the biggest area.

Aero roadset in a bunch race won't make much difference really unless you're planning on lone breaks ?

I'd save the cash and see how you get on. Don't race anything you can't afford to replace.

Thanx a lot all your input,will consider
  • Aero bike/ wheels for crits?

Jesus

Hey,where did i say im pointing my question towards crits only?Looking for advices as im fairly new to cycling.jesus....lol
  • nicklong
    nicklong Posts: 231
    If you are serious about racing get some carbon tubular wheels - you can pick up a handbuilt pair from the Cycle Clinic or Wheelsmith etc and they will be great.

If it is more all-round riding then get whatever suits your bike. Honestly, I think anything from the main brands (Mavic, Zipp, Reynolds, Shimano, Campag) will be good. Anything under 1500g will feel fast, anything over 40mm rim depth will feel fast, anything with a carbon braking rim will look fast. (All of this will be very subjective depending on how you ride, where you ride and how fast you already are).

I couldn't fault my RS81 C50s - super reliable in all weather and up/down the Pyrenees. I can also vouch for Reynolds - super super strong, had a nasty crash in the summer (road furniture) and the wheels were as true as when they were new.

If you really want to GO fast get a power meter, coaching software, a good turbo and train (for a lot less than the wheels).
  • Don't get serious about racing,,. Or cycling for what that matters
    left the forum March 2023
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    ugo's right dont take it too seriously.

Minimising your frontal area by getting as low as possible is by far the most important factor. Actually it is not just getting your head low but minimising the curve in your back. A flat back is ideal but may not be comfortable for long. Wearing clothing that fits well is the second most important thing. Most club jerseys are a bit flappy. changing the jersey is cheaper than wheels.
    Then wheels. The frame is last. Wheels and frame do make a difference though.

Power required is directly proportional to CdA. If you reduce frontal area by 10% you get a 10% reduction in power. Wheels may offer 3% over something not aero. The frame offers something similar compared to a round tubed model. Therefore wheels and frame offer real savings.

In fact time for a course at a fixed power output should be proportional to the cubed root of the CdA so reduce that and time falls away no matter how fast you are going.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.