AM/Enduro bike choice (150-160mm)

Gangstel
Gangstel Posts: 5
edited December 2016 in MTB buying advice
Hello!

I'm choosing AM/Enduro bike (150-160mm, 650b wheels) for mountain trails. I love uphills (like downhills) and ride them.

Help me to choose between these models:
Specialized Stumpjumper
Specialized Enduro
Canyon Strive
Canyon Spectral
Santa Cruz Bronson
YT Industries Capra

Not interested in other models.

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    My choice would probably be none of the above.
    Models range from a few grand up to silly money. You need to be more specific.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Santa Cruz .... for no other reason than I have a Superlight and have come to love the brand
  • doomanic
    doomanic Posts: 238
    None of 'em.
  • None of those, I'm afraid.

Specialized and Santa Cruz, in my opinion, are massively overpriced in the uk and you can get much better for much less. Plus I have heard lots of comments on Canyon customer care and as such, I'll stick to my LBS.

Why have you written of some of the big brands which do deliver value e.g giant, trek, and also the more leftfield mondraker and cotic,etc. etc.
  • Transition Patrol.

Although the bike you actually want for the kind of riding you will do is the Transition Scout - ask Rockmonkey on here!
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    None of those bikes.
    The Transition Patrol is excellent, I love mine. If you like uphill as well as downhill, the Scout is the ideal bike. It climbs great and descends better than most of the bikes listed. Forget about the amount of suspension, it's geometry that really matters and thr Scout has brilliant geometry.
    The Patrol is better if you do a lot of lift assisted riding or are happy to slowly grind away up climbs on a bike which makes it a chore.
  • eric_draven
    eric_draven Posts: 1,192
    None of those bikes.
    The Transition Patrol is excellent, I love mine. If you like uphill as well as downhill, the Scout is the ideal bike. It climbs great and descends better than most of the bikes listed. Forget about the amount of suspension, it's geometry that really matters and thr Scout has brilliant geometry.
    The Patrol is better if you do a lot of lift assisted riding or are happy to slowly grind away up climbs on a bike which makes it a chore.

Pretty much this above as I have owned both as well but swapped the other way round,the patrol is fantastic on alpine trails to,the other bike I would consider and very nearly bought one myself is a Gaint Reign
  • Why only the few you have chosen ?? also whats your budget ? my choice would be a Giant Trance... but its not on the list
  • Your bike choice is an interesting one, I'd been keen to understand why these select few. Also you've not mentioned which model as some of these bikes range from £2.5-£5k depending on spec.

As lots of people have said if I was looking for an enduro 150-160mm bike none of these would have been in my list.

I think what you need to do is more research on what spec your looking for as even on your list the specs are so different.

Take my bike for instance, has a fantastic spec and climbs so well but goes down like an animal: not a bike most people would automatically choose but it's so good. Light, good spec and great for climbs.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/mobi ... lsrc=aw.ds
  • all of them are nice. i would add Commencal Meta AM 4 / 4.2 too
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    If you enjoy uphills then the Capra is definitely NOT for you!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.