Narrowing the selection

N1TRO
N1TRO Posts: 103
edited December 2016 in MTB buying advice
Right, I know there are a hundred and one similar threads about this, but I don't want to hijack one if I can open my own, so here goes.

I might be in the market for a new FS bike which would complement my Spec Diverge road/gravel rig. I'd be willing to spend around 2000€ - less if I can help it. I've only been doing road riding with a bit of dirt roads for the last couple of years and I'd like to take it a bit more off road. I like just under a quite big hill range which offers lots of forest roads and tracks, so that's my first goal. Nothing too serious or risky, but I'd like a reliable bike that would last me a while without any major issues.

In sticking with the brand, I've been looking at the 2017 line of Specialized Cambers. The Comp version can be had for around 2300, less if you catch a preseason discount deal. That's my main choice for now, though I might consider other brands at a similar value. Something from Trek, Canyon, any other company maybe? Since I'm quite new to the MTB world I'd like your thoughts and insights on the matter, I wouldn't want to ramble into the first bike shop I come across and spend a bucketload of money on something I'd regret in the end.

If you have any beneficial advice please have at it. :)

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    A rig? Does it have 18 wheels?

Links might help. Presumably you are not in the UK, and specs etc might differ.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • batmo
    batmo Posts: 277
    Getting a bike that fits you is key. You seem to have already leant towards short travel full suspension bikes, I would suggest making a long list of likely candidates and then going and sitting on as many as you can. Rule out the ones that don't feel right until your short list is two or three bikes and then get proper test rides on those. This may seem a lot of effort but for the kind of money you're looking to invest, I think you owe it to yourself to make a thoroughly researched choice. Plus after riding bikes, shopping for bikes is the next best thing, right?
    Viscount Grand Touring - in bits
    Trek ZX6500 - semi-retired
    HP Velotechnik Spirit
    Brompton M6
    Specialized Camber Comp
  • rockmonkeysc
    rockmonkeysc Posts: 14,774
    First off its a bicycle, not a rig.
    At your budget I'd avoid Specialized unless heavily discounted, they're poor value.
    I'd look at Giant and Rose Bikes. The Giant Anthem or Anthem SX would suit you nicely. The Rose DR Z is also ideal.
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    A rig
    web_VantageEDThailand-spready.jpg
    What you can get depends on the local prices and also what sort of $ you are referring to, Aus, US, Canadian or Zimbabwian (which wouldn't buy you a valve cap)
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    The Rookie wrote:
    *Insert late to the party picture here*
    What you can get depends on the local prices and also what sort of $ you are referring to, Aus, US, Canadian or Zimbabwian (which wouldn't buy you a valve cap)

Smartarse fail. € is not $.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • kirkee
    kirkee Posts: 369
    This may reach the criteria its a Rig and its priced in euros.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Alexander-Scale- ... Sw7ThUbf8K
    Caveat - I buy and ride cheap, however, I reserve the right to advise on expensive kit that I have never actually used and possibly never will