5700 Rear derailleur overhaul - worth it?

wolfsbane2k
wolfsbane2k Posts: 3,056
edited December 2016 in Workshop
is it worth overhauling a 5700 rear derailleur, given they are currently £23 each?

Have one that a friend thinks mine is gunked up or bent due to some serious shifting issues, so wanting to exclude the "gunked" option, but have bought a new one to keep the bike going until i manage to check it out.

The park tools website has a "howto" guide - does anyone know if that's still valid?

Ta
Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...

Comments

• gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,521
    It's not difficult and doing it will teach you how to overhaul any rear derailleur. Give it a go, you've only got £23.00 to lose!
  • Mad_Malx
    Mad_Malx Posts: 5,011
    I'd swap the hanger before the derailleur, usually even cheaper to swap.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Gethinceri wrote:
    It's not difficult and doing it will teach you how to overhaul any rear derailleur. Give it a go, you've only got £23.00 to lose!

Good way to look at it.
    This one went through a ford last week and got dropped the same day, so could be either ;)
    Intent on Cycling Commuting on a budget, but keep on breaking/crashing/finding nice stuff to buy.
    Bike 1 (Broken) - Bike 2(Borked) - Bike 3(broken spokes) - Bike 4( Needs Work) - Bike 5 (in bits) - Bike 6* ...
  • wolfsbane2k
    Mad_Malx wrote:
    I'd swap the hanger before the derailleur, usually even cheaper to swap.

Checked the alignment, it's A-OK, so not the hangar. Although I do have one in the box of bits.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Last time I tried to eke a bit more life out of a 5600 rear mech the pulley bolts both rounded off :( Cost of new pulleys and bolts was more than a new 5700 mech so I bought one of those instead.

It had done 7 years of year round riding, so it wasn't too painful chucking it in the skip
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    As its now surplus to requirements I'd clean and strip it down and then decide what to do.
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    ^^ Sort of. I would strip it down and clean it, reassemble, try and work out what the leftover bits could possibly be for...then decide what to do.
  • first thing to do is check if the problem is on the derailleur or the shifters!! you can check that with any 9sp mtb or road or or any 10sp road (except tiagra 4700 series) derailleur. If it goes ok by trying a derailleur that you know it works on your friends bike (yes, that is where you will find it ,haha), then your 105 derailleur either needs cleaning or the metal pins and bushings that hold the parallelogram in place are worn. If they are worn, you loose the exact parallelogram that is required for keeping the shifting ratio and cable pull and there is no overhaul you can do there. just buy a new one. do whatever the shimano dealers manual tel you that you can overhaul and if the problem persists, THROW IT AWAY and buy a new one. also do a check on the condition of the cassette sprockets if they are worn (there is a method of figuring that out on the shimano dealers manuals).
  • The Rookie
    The Rookie Posts: 27,812
    To be honest, in 90% of cases the dérailleur problem is just knackered jockey wheel bearings!
    Currently riding a Whyte T130C, X0 drivetrain, Magura Trail brakes converted to mixed wheel size (homebuilt wheels) with 140mm Fox 34 Rhythm and RP23 suspension. 12.2Kg.
  • wolfsbane2k
    Cheers.
    I swapped the "bent" RD over to the new one and the problem was lessened, but not removed, so thinking cables have lost oil & the RD isn't working properly, but I really think it's crud in the mech ( bi-daily 5 cm deep ford crossing...)
    Plan to strip it down, clean and rebuild over xmas to return it to the spares box..

Hoping the 10 days over xmas will mean I get a few hours to sort out the cabling issue 2.
  • Matthewfalle
    Matthewfalle Posts: 17,380
    Smash it with a hammer, throw it into next door's garden and spend the hour or so you would have spent tinkering with it drinking ale, eating pork scratching and researching the blonde bird from Countryfile off the "embarrassing crushes" thread in Cake Stop.
    Postby team47b » Sun Jun 28, 2015 11:53 am

De Sisti wrote:
    This is one of the silliest threads I've come across. :lol:

Recognition at last Matthew, well done!, a justified honour :D
    smithy21 wrote:

He's right you know.