Chain rust

ade555
ade555 Posts: 216
edited November 2016 in MTB workshop & tech
My wife was complaining about chain noise and looking a bit orange :D , told her to send me pic as I was at work, bless her she did manage to clean some of it of and lube it I was :shock: :shock: , now question is is it down to poor chain or just luck of lube, I haven't done any maintance for couple months now but all our other bikes don't have that problem.

IMG-20161124-WA0000_zpsg21sswo7.jpg

Comments

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Probably a combination. And probably just surface rust. Lube and ride and it'll vanish.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • Check if there's rust inside those links. As in, if some of them are too stiff and tend to get stuck. If no, what cooldad says. If yes, you have two options:
    1: WD-40 the Jesus out of that mutha to loosen up that rust, degrease the chain and wash all solids out, apply ton of lube several times, then loosen up some of those links if needed and just keep riding it till it's fine again. No guarantee it'll ever be fine though.
    2: Seeing as that's a what - 7 speed cassette? Just buy a new chain. Those chains cost less than what you'd pay for a large can of WD-40. Are you seriously considering option 1? Just buy a new chain. Don't even think about the price. Think of all the work you won't have to do. Not to mention it's your wife, man! She definitely deserves a nice looking, quiet chain.
  • ade555
    ade555 Posts: 216
    Well got the chain looking like new again, just got me by suprise, if happens again will get better 8 spd chain, never in my life I had a chain like that, plus I'm well impressed with wife skills, might let her clean my bike next lol
  • mattyfez
    mattyfez Posts: 638
    ade555 wrote:
    Well got the chain looking like new again, just got me by suprise, if happens again will get better 8 spd chain, never in my life I had a chain like that, plus I'm well impressed with wife skills, might let her clean my bike next lol

Any chain will get like that if you put the bike away dripping wet. Just a wipe down and a relube will stop that.

That said if it's a cheap chain it'll be more prone to rust up. A kmc x8 is reasonably cheap but better quality than your average chain.