Buy some friggin lights!!!!!

2»

Comments

• If you can tell that, then it really is a close pass.
  • jgsi
    jgsi Posts: 5,062
    Yup, usually Audi drivers, male of course
  • zebra67
    zebra67 Posts: 113
    This is a topic near to my heart... need to vent. I work at a university & a lot of students have minimal lights. Lights with nearly dead batteries & no lights at all. Then my commute takes me thru the city where the cycle lighting can be patchy. I'll be honest, I'm no saint, occasionally my lights have been on weak battery legs, but not both lights daily. The very worst was a guy in dark clothes on a small kid's BMX mixing it up with the buses (on Meadow Lane by the castle). So very low down, poor acceleration, very darkly clad, no lights at all (or a helmet, of course)... oh, & like a cherry on the icing of his suicide wish cake, he had dark skin, too, so was as poorly visible as someone could possibly get. arrrrgggghhh I haven't seen him again, maybe he decided not to be so tired of living after all.
  • Car headlights are the issue, they are a 19th century solution to showing a car is being operated at night/early 20th century solution to illuminating the road ahead, we are nearly a 5th of the way through the 21st century & all we have is better bulbs.

When I walk & cycle around at night under street lights, I can see other road users perfectly well whether they are clad in hi-vis/reflectives with lights or all in black on black bikes.

When I drive along those same roads, people outside of the beam of my lights are essentially moving shadows in the darkness. If a car with xenon lights comes the other way, objects between us are silhouettes at best.

The "solution" appears to be brighter & brighter car lights & have everyone else lit up like Christmas trees.

My solution would be under street lights drivers should use side lights only and motor manufacturers/drivers should incorporate night vision, radar, lidar & ultrasonic technologies into their cars to enable people to see where they are going without ruining their night vision or blinding everyone else in the process.