Experiences of Deliveroo riders

2»

Comments

• DrLex
    DrLex Posts: 2,142
    Register or sign in to read - care to offer an executive summary for lazy s0ds like me?
  • Ian.B
    Ian.B Posts: 732
    jamesco wrote:
    rower63 wrote:
    Deliveroo riding and Uber driving remind me of the sharecropping business model. Perhaps not quite slavery, but something not far from it dressed up as "self-employed", "owning your own business" etc
    It's a textbook example of piece work.

But they've taken back control of their working lives, surely...
  • Dunno what it is about Deliveroo, at my partners in North London they seem to get lost coming to our address. It's by no means difficult or tucked away. Albeit new builds that are now 8 years old roughly.
  • Tashman
    Tashman Posts: 3,400
    Varying qualities i see down in Brighton. Some are fine - you barely notice them. The ones that stand out of course are pavement riding wrong way in a 1-way, RLJing both bikes and scooters.
  • In Winchester we have a few, my main experiences have been in the last week
    1) In a car, in the dark on a Single lane one way street with a glowing thing coming the other way. Turned out to be a deliveroo rider in glowing scotch lite cycling in the gutter the wrong way down the road. I actually think the scotch lite was a bit too much as it made it hard to focus on what it actually was coming at me.
    2) Cycling with my daughter, Deliveroo rider on a motorbike decided to turn his bike around by rolling it backwards without looking, nearly into me, got most upset that I bellowed "look out" at him when he was inches from me. The upshot of his rant seemed to be he accepted he was at fault but didn't like being shouted at, I should have softly said "Excuse me my good man, but you appear to be about to reverse into my bicycle, would you mind awfully stopping before you crush me and my steed?"