Upgrading road wheels and do I need spacers?

Gingagimp
Gingagimp Posts: 14
edited November 2016 in Road beginners
Hi all,
A while back I purchased a 10spd giant defy advanced 2, it's a great bike and I'm not in a position to upgrade to a new bike with 11 spd gearing just yet.
So, I have just bought a second hand set of Giant PSLR-1's from a very reputable seller, genuine giant wheels and in almost new condition. I am aware (I think) that the wheels can take 9,10,11 spd cassettes. My cassette is 10 speed so do I need to use a spacer or can I just add the cassette direct to the hub??? If yes, what width/size of spacer and I assume it gets put on BEFORE adding the cassette. I've tried searching on Google and Giant were far from helpful.
Please help otherwise my investment of wheels has gone to pot.
Blessings, your loyal but unknowledgeable cycling enthusiast.
Andy

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    viewtopic.php?t=13020488
    this may help - good luck
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • That thread is the other way round, isn't it?

To put a 10 speed cassette on an 11 speed hub, you need a spacer. Mine came with the wheels, it's one of these.
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/lifeline-rear-h ... -10-speed/
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    Are your existing wheels 11 speed compatible? If so, just swap the cassette complete with any spacers onto the new wheel / freehub.

If the existing wheels are 10 speed only then you'll need the extra spacer for the new ones.

And depending on which 10 speed cassette you have, there may already be a thin spacer behind it which you should also transfer (eg 10 speed 105 needs one but 10 speed Tiagra doesn't).
  • dj58
    dj58 Posts: 2,217
    If your Defy is a 2013 model Advance 2, it should have Shimano 5700 105. As keff66 says, swop your existing cassette and spacer over to the PSLR-1 freehub, if there is any lateral movement after you have tightened the lock ring, you will need to add a 1.85mm spacer, noting the point that if your cassette is a Tiagra 4600 10sp you would only need to use a 1.85mm spacer on the 11sp freehub. The rear wheel should have been supplied with one.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    DJ58 wrote:
    If your Defy is a 2013 model Advance 2, it should have Shimano 5700 105. As keff66 says, swop your existing cassette and spacer over to the PSLR-1 freehub, if there is any lateral movement after you have tightened the lock ring, you will need to add a 1.85mm spacer, noting the point that if your cassette is a Tiagra 4600 10sp you would only need to use a 1.85mm spacer on the 11sp freehub. The rear wheel should have been supplied with one.

I wouldn't use lateral movement as a marker of whether to use the 1.85mm spacer - if it's an 11 speed freehub then you should always fit the 1.85mm spacer with a 10 speed cassette as a matter of course. If your cassette is a 5700 series one you should also fit the 1mm spacer too.
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D