11 speed compatibility clarification

bukowski102
bukowski102 Posts: 88
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hello people,

I've heard lots of conflicting opinions on shimano campag 11 speed compatibility.
Buying a bike with 11speed ultegra and would like to keep my campagnolo shamals which are currently 10 speed campag (but 11speed compatible). Would all I need to do is buy a 11 speed campag cassette and whack it on if everyone is saying recently that their compatible???
Thanks v much
J

Comments

• keezx
    keezx Posts: 1,322
    Depends how old your Shamals are.
    In the 1990ies there have been Campagnolo 9 speed freehubs that are a little too short for 11 speed cassettes.
    Recent wheels are no problem.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Your shamals should take an 11 speed cassette without issue.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Keezx wrote:
    Depends how old your Shamals are.
    In the 1990ies there have been Campagnolo 9 speed freehubs that are a little too short for 11 speed cassettes.
    Recent wheels are no problem.

Yes thanks my shamals are dark label version, 2015 I think and come with 11speed adaptor.
    So I'm guessing the 11speed cassette will work absolutely fine with ultegra group set ???? Cheers
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    Will work fine with 11 speed Campag cassette with an 11 speed groupset.

Remember, as it sounds like you will be investing in a new cassette, instead of buying a campag one you can just buy an ultegra one which is cheaper and convert your Shamals to take it by getting an 11 speed shimano freehub body. The freehub body is about £55 and takes two minutes to change.

The £55 freehub is not quite the difference in street price between a chorus and ultegra cassette, but after another cassette wears out it should more than pay for itself.

...OR... perhaps you aren't even going to use the wheels that come with the bike and only ever the shamals, in which case, you'll have the ultegra cassette on those new wheels which you can take off and use on the shamals, so all you need is the £55 freehub body.... anyway, you should understand what I'm on about, it's just maths on costs from which way you look at it.

Remember, ultegra 11 cassettes are cheaper (at £49) than campag chorus 11 ones (chorus is the cheapest 11 speed campag cassette at about £89), but also, you could get 11 speed 105 ones which are only £30, so getting different ratios for different occasional uses is quite cheap.

EDIT, here's the freehub, select the shimano option, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161375260981 and I've just noticed it looks like that is theCycleClinic and he's a member on here too, he might be along in a minute.
  • mfin wrote:
    Will work fine with 11 speed Campag cassette with an 11 speed groupset.

Remember, as it sounds like you will be investing in a new cassette, instead of buying a campag one you can just buy an ultegra one which is cheaper and convert your Shamals to take it by getting an 11 speed shimano freehub body. The freehub body is about £55 and takes two minutes to change.

The £55 freehub is not quite the difference in street price between a chorus and ultegra cassette, but after another cassette wears out it should more than pay for itself.

...OR... perhaps you aren't even going to use the wheels that come with the bike and only ever the shamals, in which case, you'll have the ultegra cassette on those new wheels which you can take off and use on the shamals, so all you need is the £55 freehub body.... anyway, you should understand what I'm on about, it's just maths on costs from which way you look at it.

Remember, ultegra 11 cassettes are cheaper (at £49) than campag chorus 11 ones (chorus is the cheapest 11 speed campag cassette at about £89), but also, you could get 11 speed 105 ones which are only £30, so getting different ratios for different occasional uses is quite cheap.

EDIT, here's the freehub, select the shimano option, http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161375260981 and I've just noticed it looks like that is theCycleClinic and he's a member on here too, he might be along in a minute.

Thanks so much for your awesome advice, just the info I was after much apreciated
    Jo