Lightweight carbon clincher recommendations please

siddy1972
siddy1972 Posts: 180
edited November 2016 in Road buying advice
Hi Guys,
I'm looking to get some light aero-ish carbon clinchers. Lightweight are out of my price range- as much as I'd like some.
I've come across the Roval CLX40 and Fulcrum Speed 40c so far that look promising, but does anyone have any other suggestions?
Also, if anyone has any experience with either of the above, how are they?
Thanks

Comments

• styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Campagnolo Bora is the default answer
  • Reynolds Attack or Assault.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    Some big bargains at USE1.com
    Only got shallow clinchers but at £420 they're a steal
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Zipp or Enve are also pretty good choices. It all depends on what you want/need.
  • I looked at the zipp 404 but they seem pretty heavy. The Enves look good, but so expensive and I'm not sure the weight is all that much better for the cost difference?
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Galatzo wrote:
    Some big bargains at USE1.com
    Only got shallow clinchers but at £420 they're a steal

mmm, not really though. 1450g weight for a set of shallow clinchers @ £420. No aero benefit whatsoever, even at high speeds. Carbon construction so you will need special pads and braking in the wet will be sketchy at best...and CC so prone to possibly overheating issues on long Alpine climbs/descents where any weight savings would really pay dividends. Hence, apart from being able to brag to your mates about having carbon wheels there isn't a lot going for the USEs over a set of standard alloy clinchers except a 100g here or there. Doesn't qualify them as a steal in my book!
  • paulmon
    paulmon Posts: 315
    nammynake wrote:
    Reynolds Attack or Assault.

Ditto. Superb customer service. I recently had a wheel replaced under their RAP policy when I melted a rim with a hair dryer removing the decals :oops: :oops: . I was upfront about it and the only thing I had to cover was postage to the Nederlands.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Hence, apart from being able to brag to your mates about having carbon wheels there isn't a lot going for the USEs over a set of standard alloy clinchers except a 100g here or there. Doesn't qualify them as a steal in my book!

And the alloy clinchers could easily be the ones that are 100g lighter. And £100 cheaper!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • PaulMon wrote:
    nammynake wrote:
    Reynolds Attack or Assault.

Ditto. Superb customer service. I recently had a wheel replaced under their RAP policy when I melted a rim with a hair dryer removing the decals :oops: :oops: . I was upfront about it and the only thing I had to cover was postage to the Nederlands.

Jeez sure that wasn't a heat gun?
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • DT Swiss - much under rated, hard to find even, but they have an excellent range of wheels at good prices.