Disc brakes?

2»

Comments

• flanners1
    flanners1 Posts: 916
    edited November 2016
    Same situation in MTB in the 90's, cantilevers to V Brakes, mechanical to hydraulic discs. Luddites said V brakes were all a MTB needed, many obviously had not ridden in the Alps etc.Discs totally transformed MTBing the same will no doubt happen in road cycling. Once I rode disc brakes on an MTB in the Alps I never went back to V brakes. The difference was night and day and that was with constant brake fade, overheating and lack of stopping a constant problem with early Hope set-ups! The technology is sound these days.

I've just had a new build didn't go for discs more for aesthetic reasons really I don't like the look of disc brakes on road bikes, but it's only a matter of time if the manufacturer's have their way.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332
    For anyone new to the forum, allow me to do a quick recap on the situation;
    - lots of people with hydro discs will say they are great, work in all weathers, etc etc
    - lots of people who have never ridden discs will say rim brakes are simple and work, the tyre traction is the limiting factor, etc, etc. They are never changing and it's pure marketing

It's probably a good job the internet didn't exist when electricity challenged the gas lamp.

To the op, I've four bikes, 2 with hydro discs, 2 without. Discs are better. Performance doesn't diminish dependent on weather, the modulation & control is superior and the penalities (weight/aero) are being engineered away. The only real downside is the limited choice of wheels currently available, that will change. My lovely nice bike is rim, I would be stunned if the next one isn't disc when I swap in around 2 years time.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,745
    Stueys wrote:
    - lots of people with hydro discs will say they are great, work in all weathers, etc etc
    - lots of people who have never ridden discs will say rim brakes are simple and work, the tyre traction is the limiting factor, etc, etc. They are never changing and it's pure marketing

It's probably a good job the internet didn't exist when electricity challenged the gas lamp.

Point of order - that's rubbish - plenty of people on here have tried discs and been underwhelmed by them either by the performance, added complexity or both. I am not saying they are in a majority but you don't have to look hard to find their posts.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,764
    They're decent if you weigh a lot.
  • I went for good Ol' rim brakes. A couple of reasons behind my choice. Firstly (possibly the deciding factor) £400 knocked off the tag price in the 'sales' over the past week or so. Wheelset upgrade has been playing on my mind a tad, and there just seems to be more choice at the moment. I understand that will change in time, but for now...rim brakes.

Thanks all for taking the time to offer your input.
    Pain is a momentary lapse of character.
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Stueys wrote:

Point of order - that's rubbish - plenty of people on here have tried discs and been underwhelmed by them either by the performance, added complexity or both. I am not saying they are in a majority but you don't have to look hard to find their posts.

Cheap cable disc brakes, badly setup or contaminated disc brakes will not perform well compared to well setup hydraulic disc brakes. Disc brakes are simple to setup and require little maintenance unless you have cheap or older design ones. Just ride the bike with the brakes that let you enjoy your riding.
  • fat daddy
    fat daddy Posts: 2,605
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Once I rode disc brakes on an MTB in the Alps.

you don't even need to go that far .... I was converted to disc brakes on MTBs at CwmCarn ... all it took was 2 wet descents on v-brakes before you couldn't grip your pint in the evening and required a straw .... suddenly 1 finger braking and get full modulation and power

hopefully integration into the road world we will start to see better looking systems that ruin the sleek likes of a race bike ... be nice if they hid the hydraulics and made aero calipers
  • The downside of course is weight, but if you're a tank like me then saving 200g on some fancy calipers is the last thing on my mind.

That said when a carbon caliper comes out I'm putting them on my christmas list.

Why? Just because...
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • svetty
    svetty Posts: 1,904
    The noise discs make is a real turn-off for me. The squawking sound is hideous at times......
    FFS! Harden up and grow a pair :D
  • Svetty wrote:
    The noise discs make is a real turn-off for me. The squawking sound is hideous at times......

Modern hydro discs don't make this sort of noise, certainly I've heard rims that are far, far worse
  • Noise is an issue with wet discs... wet rims are often noisy too. Noise if the discs are dry is very unusual and probably a symptom that something is not quite right
    left the forum March 2023
  • chippyk
    chippyk Posts: 529
    Cycling topics to which, in my opinion, there is no right or wrong* Just get on the bike, ride the thing and enjoy it.

Disc v Rim
    Tubeless/Tubs/Clinchers
    Team kit
    Rapha
    Helmets
    Mudguards
    A dedicated winter bike
    Campag/Shimano
    Carbon/aluminium

*mudguards if I'm following you in the wet
  • Noise is an issue with wet discs... wet rims are often noisy too. Noise if the discs are dry is very unusual and probably a symptom that something is not quite right

Mine squeel like a banshee at the moment, I'm not sure but I may have cooked the rotors as there is signs of tempering on the spines (the bit that connects the braking bit to the spinny bit of the wheel) and have a feeling this won't help. Cheapo Tektro rotors at about a fiver a pop.

I've got two sets of sintered pads ready to go and some ice-tech rotors on my christmas list so hopefully this will solve the problem.

Not sure why it's an issue because my MTB discs are quiet in all conditions.
    Advocate of disc brakes.

Mine squeel like a banshee at the moment, I'm not sure but I may have cooked the rotors as there is signs of tempering on the spines (the bit that connects the braking bit to the spinny bit of the wheel) and have a feeling this won't help. Cheapo Tektro rotors at about a fiver a pop.

I've got two sets of sintered pads ready to go and some ice-tech rotors on my christmas list so hopefully this will solve the problem.

Not sure why it's an issue because my MTB discs are quiet in all conditions.

SIntered pads are the noisiest...
    left the forum March 2023
  • Generaly yes but I cannot for the life of me think why the current set up is like it is.

MTB runs on sintered pads and is quiet as a mouse.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • Generaly yes but I cannot for the life of me think why the current set up is like it is. Stock pads, I assume, are oganics.

MTB runs on sintered pads and is quiet as a mouse.
    Advocate of disc brakes.
  • ChippyK wrote:
    Cycling topics to which, in my opinion, there is no right or wrong* Just get on the bike, ride the thing and enjoy it.

Disc v Rim
    Tubeless/Tubs/Clinchers
    Team kit
    Rapha
    Helmets
    Mudguards
    A dedicated winter bike
    Campag/Shimano
    Carbon/aluminium

*mudguards if I'm following you in the wet

This...I am starting to realise.
    Pain is a momentary lapse of character.