Winter Jacket

2»

Comments

• Gabba does not keep me warm for a 2-3+ hour ride in cold conditions. I use my Castelli Espresso for low degree rides. The Gabba does not have the temperature range to cope with deep winter rides for most people; I think Castelli rate it 6 up to 16 (or around there) degrees. Espresso is 0 to 10 degrees not sure of the new model.
    Colnago C60 SRAM eTap, Colnago C40, Milani 107E, BMC Pro Machine, Trek Madone, Viner Gladius,
    Bizango 29er
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Flanners1 wrote:
    Gabba does not keep me warm for a 2-3+ hour ride in cold conditions. I use my Castelli Espresso for low degree rides. The Gabba does not have the temperature range to cope with deep winter rides for most people; I think Castelli rate it 6 up to 16 (or around there) degrees. Espresso is 0 to 10 degrees not sure of the new model.
    The thing is, Italians will wear longs at anything under 20 degrees.
    These things are relative and subjective.
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    I love my Gabba- coupled with a merino base it keeps me toasty down to 5 degrees. I wouldn't wear it above 10 degrees and below 5 I use a thicker Castelli jacket (can't remember the name) which is about 5 years old and is great.

Each to his own :)
  • mac9091
    mac9091 Posts: 196
    Thanks for that. Sounds a decent-ish jacket but probably need something that offers the verstility of being able to be worn comfortably from spring through to autumn too and not just the colder bits of winter.

Yeah no chance of wearing this above 10oC, i think my limit is 5oC with slight wind and maybe 10oC strong wind and easy ride planned.

Yet to find out how clod it will be before its too cold just to wear this with a base-layer.

Consider a short sleeve base-layer with arm warmers? For Spring-Autumn.
  • pblakeney
    pblakeney Posts: 25,597
    Aldi Performance Jacket was used today down do -6 with just a thin S/S merino base layer & S/S polyester jersey up top. Surprisingly good jacket for use up to 8 degrees. Value for money? Well... 8)
    The above may be fact, or fiction, I may be serious, I may be jesting.
    I am not sure. You have no chance.
    Veronese68 wrote:
    PB is the most sensible person on here.
  • The Aldi merino base layer from a couple of months ago is very warm. I reckon with my Alpha I could comfortably go down to -5, or lower. And it would be my toes that stopped me from going any colder.

Except of course that after my leg exploded last summer, I am not inclined to take even the slightest risk when it comes to ice. That was a long ten months off the bike, and slamming into that hip again would leave the surgeon with a 100-piece jigsaw puzzle to try to put back together.
    They use their cars as shopping baskets; they use their cars as overcoats.
  • andyrac
    andyrac Posts: 1,123
    Anything down to about 6c I wear a base layer, jersey and the long sleeve Gabba - and that is well warm enough. Anything lower, and I'll wear the Alpha jacket; and depending on how close to freezing, the Flanders warm base layer, with maybe a jersey.

I see there is the Castelli Senza 2 jacket, which is almost a Gabba+... that could be interesting.
    All Road/ Gravel: tbcWinter: tbcMTB: tbcRoad: tbc"Look at the time...." "he's fallen like an old lady on a cruise ship..."
  • mugensi
    mugensi Posts: 559
    I bought one of Aldi's performance winter jackets a few months back in their last Cycling offers. Its a very very good jacket for sub 5degree temperatures. I was out a few weeks ago in 2 degrees and it started snowing and I was perfectly warm and snug with just a Sondico compression LS base layer underneath. Its windproof and rain proof although prolonged use in constant rain and it will eventually let rain seep through and it gets very heavy (although its not very noticeable until you take it off and feel the weight of it when wet!)

I also have a Gabba II but wouldn't use it at this time of year, its fine for spring autumn and early winter wear where the temperatures are above 7/8 degrees.

I also have an Altura Varium which can be worn anytime of year either with baselayers or not and with the two zipped side vents on it, I have worn it on wet rides during summer with no under layers and been perfectly comfortable/cool and dry. I haven't wore it this winter so far but have worn it during previous winters in sub zero temepratures (with appropriate base layers) and remained warm and dry, its a very versatile jacket!