Internal wheel width

Banno
Banno Posts: 63
edited January 2017 in Cyclocross
I was just wondering how much difference the internal width of a wheel makes to 'cross tyres and what the minimum should be.
I've got a set of carbon clinchers which I'd like to use next year, but I don't know if they're a tad narrow to work with 33mm 'cross tyres.
IMG_8021_1.png

Would these work?

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Yes they will work, in the sense that they will hold the tyre on. I've only ever used narrow road rims for cross, mainly because I've got plenty of wheels and I can't be arsed to buy a specific pair for cross. Never been an issue. Your tyre might come up 1/2mm wider/narrower on different rims, but so what...
  • Banno
    Thanks for the reply.
    Do you think a narrower rim make pinch flats any more likely?
  • imposter2.0
    I don't see why it would. Pressure is generally the critical factor...
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    In theory yes narrower do make pinch flats more likely but the effect os to small to notice.

Wide rims are better for wider tyres. Those rims are wide enough. If there is a wider one them fo for it.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Banno
    What about tubulars?
    Is it better to go 23mm wide or 25mm wide say?

Thanks
  • imposter2.0
    Again, there's minimal real world difference. None of these things - in themselves - are likely to affect race order.
  • Banno wrote:
    What about tubulars?
    Is it better to go 23mm wide or 25mm wide say?

Thanks

The wider the rim, the more contact there is for glue/tape... that said, I am not sure you can buy wider tape, so it might only be a bonus if you use glue
    left the forum March 2023
  • trek_dan
    trek_dan Posts: 1,366
    I don't really think rim width makes much difference with tubs like it does with clinchers. The tyre profile is determined by how the tub is made. Although as Ugo rightly pointed out its much easier to get the tyre glued on straight and securely on a wide rim, particularly against an old fashioned (but still popular) alloy box section rim like a Mavic Reflex. Ideally you want your tubs and clinchers to be the same rim width so you can swap them easily (assuming rim brakes).