Hub Help??

stoobydale
stoobydale Posts: 535
edited November 2016 in Workshop
Hi,
I purchased a PX hub sometime ago and built it into a wheel that was used as Campag 10 speed, however now I would like to use it as 11 speed but when I torque up the cassette the freewheel becomes tight and stops spinning backwards. The hub is a "HUPXRO-24-BLG-RR-CAM" PX superlight, from my reading I think it is a rebranded American Classic. Can anyone confirm that it is 11 sp compatible? I was under the impression that Campy freehubs were 9,10,11 compatible.

Cheers,
Stu.

Freehub%20side.jpg

Freehub%20top.jpg

Comments

• Campagnolo 10 and 11 are the same free hub... However there are cases of incompatibility... The old hope pro 3 was one of them.

A touch with a file to the edges of the splines might just be enough
    left the forum March 2023
  • Thanks for the reply. The splines don't seem to be the issue, the cassette goes on fine but when I torque it up it seems to compress something and stops the freewheel turning.
  • ridgerider
    ridgerider Posts: 2,851
    So is the lock ring tightening down onto something, stopping the freewheel from rotating?
    Half man, Half bike
  • Thanks for the reply Ridgerider, Yes I think that's what is happening but don't understand why if it is supposed to be 11 sp compatible.
  • More pics to help describe problem,

11SP%20Sprocket.jpg

PX%20Hubjpg.jpg
  • Sounds like the free hub is incompatible. You need some form of tiny spacer. Campagnolo don't make spacers so you need to be creative. Might ba as little as half millimeter
  • Thanks for the reply Ugo. That's what I'm thinking.
  • You might get away with a rubber band... it might just offer enough clearance when compressed to avoid the cassette touching the seal. You might also try to reverse the seal... might work, might not, might offer less sealing against water, might catch inside... hard to say without trying
  • Thanks Ugo, just ordered some 0.55mm Mavic spacers. If it doesn't work I will just sell the wheels.